Will My Plan to Get This Awesome Device Work?

aceondeck

Reaction score
Okay, I am a loyal Verizon customer of many years, as is my Mom.

She and I are on different plans.

My contract is for over a year, her two year plan has ended.

I can't afford a data plan at the moment, but would very much like to have something like this for the apps and MP3 player. My mom likes her current phone, and doesn't use a data plan.

The Plan:

My mom would get the Droid + two year contract at 200 dollars. (I would pay the 200)

She would then wait a day or so, and go and change back to her old phone with it's non-data plan still under the contract (I'd pay the 15 dollar change phone fee)

Are there any fees I am missing, like is there a fee to change from data to non-data plan?

And is there any way I could do any of this cheaper? Like any sites that you can get a droid + contract for cheaper than 200?

Basically at the end of the day I just want a droid, but wouldn't use it to make calls, but for the apps and what not.

tktouch12

Reaction score
ok, well 1) i would just get an ipod touch, or an android tablet, like an archos 5 or something (archos makes some with android if you like that)
and 2) i'm pretty sure it would work. there are a lot of sites that offer them cheaper than 200 with a contract, but idk if they work with your existing number/ account

J-Buck

Reaction score
never heard of the 15$ change phone fee? There's no fee to go back to ur old phone. U dont even have to go to verizon for that. Just do it over the phone. But even if she upgrades to droid, activates her old phone, and gives u the droid, as soon as u activate it to ur contract they will add the data charge. Thats what they did when i activated by ebay blackberry

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can use her "new every two" to get the phone, but the moment you activate it on your line, you'll incur the data plan fees. There have been a few threads about people using unactivated phones, but I think they get closed pretty quickly by the Mods.

OP
A

aceondeck

Reaction score
You can use her "new every two" to get the phone, but the moment you activate it on your line, you'll incur the data plan fees. There have been a few threads about people using unactivated phones, but I think they get closed pretty quickly by the Mods.

But what If I don't want to use it as my phone? If you don't have it on your phone line, can't you still use the MP3s, camera, and apps via Wi-Fi?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It's my understanding that in order to get any smartphone through Verizon with new every two, you have to sign up for a data plan that you're locked into for two years, even if you switch back to a non-smartphone during that time. That's part of how they subsidize the price of the phones in addition to allowing smartphone customers (with a plan over a certain amount) to upgrade every year.

But what If I don't want to use it as my phone? If you don't have it on your phone line, can't you still use the MP3s, camera, and apps via Wi-Fi?

Then you'd probably be better off doing what tktouch12 said and just getting an Android tablet, a Zune HD, an iPod, or something along those lines.

liquidzoo

Reaction score
If that's all you want to use it for, go buy an iPod Touch. It's cheaper and you still have all of the MP3, Video, and apps capabilities.

You will be charged for data if you activate the phone on your line. There's no getting around that (and why would you want to? Almost everything I do on this phone uses some data, there would be huge charges if I didn't have the plan to cover it).

Reaction score
I did this with my wife. Her phone upgrade came up before mine and we just had them do an alternate upgrade. I got the phone and data plan but her contract extended two years. Just ask them and they should be able to just do that.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
You will be charged for data if you activate the phone on your line. There's no getting around that...

100% True.

As soon as you enter the IMEI on your account the data will be added.
Absolutely no way around that on VZW.

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
Actually i think it may work. I believe that the 2 year contract you sign is only stating that you will have "a" contract with Verizon for 2 years, not a specific contract. I have upgraded and downgraded plans in the past, including downgrading lower than the plan i had in place at the time i signed the 2 year agreement.
Maybe someone here could forward this thread to one of the Verizon reps who is on this site, but i think you should be able to do exactly as you described.