Will my 3G work in Canada?

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I'm from NH and I'm going on a 10 day vacation to Canada. Apparently my father has to change our verizon plan to international during it so we can make calls and stuff but not my texting because I guess it's some outrageous price. So, I was wondering, should my data plan/ 3G work fine up there w no extra charges than the 30 a month? Then I can just simply e-mail people's cell phones instead of texting. Also, if I use the AIM app, does that go towards texting like on some VZ phones, or is that all 3G/ internet?

AzJazz

Reaction score
WARNING!

If you are just planning on "roaming" while you are up in Canada, you had better check with Verizon before you go.

Wireless companies are making a ton of money from US citizens who go to Canada for a week or two, and use data up there. My nephew got stuck with a $2400 bill, which his (ex)cellphone company refused to budge on. I tried to help, but they will not take a penny off of his bill. And, they are currently going after his credit rating as well.

You need to realize that with the advanced operating systems in these phones, they are constantly communicating over the data network. It will be hard to keep your phone from doing so, unless you keep it in "Airplane Mode" except when you have to make a call.

Text Messaging may also be charged on each message sent/received, even if you have an "unlimited" plan in the US.

Regarding the data rates: I just checked on Verizon's website, and they will charge $0.002/KB of data, or approx. $2/MB. That can add up quickly.

When my wife and I traveled internationally, we followed the customer support person's advice: Keep your phone turned off unless you absolutely need it.

Unfortunately, this won't work with an Android phone, since it is never truly "off" unless the battery is pulled. So, keep it in "Airplane Mode" instead.

Hopefully, my 2 ¢ will save you thousands. :)

atthehop

Reaction score
WARNING!

If you are just planning on "roaming" while you are up in Canada, you had better check with Verizon before you go.

Wireless companies are making a ton of money from US citizens who go to Canada for a week or two, and use data up there. My nephew got stuck with a $2400 bill, which his (ex)cellphone company refused to budge on. I tried to help, but they will not take a penny off of his bill. And, they are currently going after his credit rating as well.

You need to realize that with the advanced operating systems in these phones, they are constantly communicating over the data network. It will be hard to keep your phone from doing so, unless you keep it in "Airplane Mode" except when you have to make a call.

Text Messaging may also be charged on each message sent/received, even if you have an "unlimited" plan in the US.

Regarding the data rates: I just checked on Verizon's website, and they will charge $0.002/KB of data, or approx. $2/MB. That can add up quickly.

When my wife and I traveled internationally, we followed the customer support person's advice: Keep your phone turned off unless you absolutely need it.

Unfortunately, this won't work with an Android phone, since it is never truly "off" unless the battery is pulled. So, keep it in "Airplane Mode" instead.

Hopefully, my 2 ¢ will save you thousands. :)

Thanks, thats just the information I need to know. Hopefully your nephew works it out.

atthehop

Reaction score
OK, It looks like if I put the DI in airplane mode the WiFi and GPS still work so I can check e.mail (with free WiFi) and use navigation while in Canada. This way I do not incurr and additional Verizon charges. Can someone comfirm this?

smokiedabong

Reaction score
And what are you planing to use for navigation ? Google maps won't do it because you need a data connection to pull maps . There are programs like Motonav that have local stored maps so they don't need a data connection

atthehop

Reaction score
And what are you planing to use for navigation ? Google maps won't do it because you need a data connection to pull maps . There are programs like Motonav that have local stored maps so they don't need a data connection

I was planning to use navigation to get us to all the different places we were going to visit. All on a whim. Is Motonav in the Market?

tracerprix

Reaction score
This is interesting.

I called VZW on this exact question. She stated the following:

-No extra charge to use DATA in Canada while roaming.
-69 cents a min phone call
-No extra charge for texts
-Picture messages send and receive are charged. I cannot remember the exact amount 20 cents received and 45 cents sent. Something like this.

I was also told that i can use skype to make phone calls to no be charged the 69 cents charge. Obviously I would pay skype for the usage.

It is interesting to hear other peoples thoughts.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Good luck on using Skype to make phone calls without using your voice minutes . The Skype application for android doesn't use your 3G or WiFi to make phone calls , it actually uses your call minutes so it's the same as placing a phone call .

atthehop

Reaction score
This is interesting.

-Picture messages send and receive are charged. I cannot remember the exact amount 20 cents received and 45 cents sent. Something like this.

I was also told that i can use skype to make phone calls to no be charged the 69 cents charge. Obviously I would pay skype for the usage.

Now that sounds great. I don't miln the 0.69 for a call since it would only be for emergencies.

It's the data and texts I was concerned with. Now I can use the navigational feature without incurring a charge.

markwebb

Reaction score
This is interesting.

I currently subscribe to the Verizon Wireless Nationwide PLUS Canada plan and I live in VT. In fact, I lived in Toronto for 2 years while subscribing to this plan. I have NEVER received one roaming charge or add'l charge either calling FROM the US TO Canada or while in Canada calling FROM Canada TO the US.

I have subscribed to this plan for 7 years now (the plan has been tweaked a bit over the years as it used to be called Nationwide North America Plan which also included Mexico but no longer does).

I visit Canada regularly since I am so close to the border; I just don't use the data services (some don't connect anyways once you leave VZW network) and if I do, I make sure it is via WIFI hotspots only.

Last edited:

AzJazz

Reaction score
This is interesting.

Be aware: Call VZW a few times on this issue, and unfortunately, you'll get different answers. My nephew claims that his (not VZW) customer rep told him that he wouldn't be charged for text messages or email since he already was on an Unlimited plan. When I talked with their billing department, they said that all of their reps are trained extensively on this issue (probably because of all the complaints), and that my nephew just misunderstood what the customer rep told him (which I'll admit is a possibility).

You can find Verizon's real information: HERE

In a nutshell, if you are outside the US and using your phone in Canada, these are your rates:

Phone calls: $0.69 / minute
Email: $0.002 / KB, or $70/month for unlimited
Data: $0.002 / KB, or something confusing on their website. It lists a $130/month "Unlimited" plan, and a $220 for 5GB/month plan. I'm guessing the "$220 for 5GB" is correct, and the "$130 for Unlimited" is an error.

Cheers,

AzJazz

atthehop

Reaction score
I was looking throught their website and at this point I think I am going to put the phone into airplane mode and have the wife's standard phone on for calls. And bring my Magellan GPS for directions. But our trip is not until later August so time is still on my side to make a final decision.