Will I get updates if I restore apps from the SD card?

Silver Member
Reaction score
from my personal experiences, only paid apps will be backed up and free ones will not..........spent time with vzw and moto on this because i was under the impression that any app from you download would be backed up since your history is attached to your gmail account.

The Android market Hep even states "Note: Free applications are not saved to My Downloads after you remover them." i.e. get a new phone or do a factory reset.

Correct me if I am wrong and help me because i was forced to install my apps from my backup from the sd and have just setttled for not getting updates for now until I have time to reinstall every free app again from the market.
if you remove them, they will no longer be in your list. if you do a factory reset (which does not uninstall the apps) they will re-download based on what you already had installed.

if you had paid apps that you DIDN'T install, those WON'T install.

i have 50+ apps and am on my third DROID and have reset at least three times per DROID. every app is reinstalled.

gth5003

Reaction score
from my personal experiences, only paid apps will be backed up and free ones will not..........spent time with vzw and moto on this because i was under the impression that any app from you download would be backed up since your history is attached to your gmail account.

The Android market Hep even states "Note: Free applications are not saved to My Downloads after you remover them." i.e. get a new phone or do a factory reset.

Correct me if I am wrong and help me because i was forced to install my apps from my backup from the sd and have just setttled for not getting updates for now until I have time to reinstall every free app again from the market.
if you remove them, they will no longer be in your list. if you do a factory reset (which does not uninstall the apps) they will re-download based on what you already had installed.

if you had paid apps that you DIDN'T install, those WON'T install.

i have 50+ apps and am on my third DROID and have reset at least three times per DROID. every app is reinstalled.

After getting a new droid every time all your free apps you downloaded showed up after activating and putting in your gmail info? mine def didn't that is why i just used my backup. Seems hit and miss to me :(

Silver Member
Reaction score
it did. the timing on when you get the apps may vary, but i ALWAYS got my apps. and a solid wifi connection ALWAYS made them come faster.