Will I get charged extra at Wirefly for changing Phone number on Droid?

muvipix

Reaction score
Hi, The carrier usually does report this as a deactivation to us and removes our commision. When that happens, the customer is considered to be in violation of the terms and conditions. If you have placed an order, please PM me your order number and I will have your order reviewed.
My plan is with Verizon and I just had a conference call with Wirefly (sales) and Verizon and we were all on the phone together and they both reassured me that it would be no problem. Ironically, I just received the phones in hand, so the quicker you review my case the better. I PM'd the info!

Thanks so much!

jmw

Reaction score
Hi, The carrier usually does report this as a deactivation to us and removes our commision. When that happens, the customer is considered to be in violation of the terms and conditions. If you have placed an order, please PM me your order number and I will have your order reviewed.
My plan is with Verizon and I just had a conference call with Wirefly (sales) and Verizon and we were all on the phone together and they both reassured me that it would be no problem. Ironically, I just received the phones in hand, so the quicker you review my case the better. I PM'd the info!

Thanks so much!

I'd love to know if this was ever resolved, as I am in a similar situation...wanting to use my wife's upgrade. I am on a verizonwireless family plan and I have a smartphone that is dying on me and would like to use her upgrade to replace it. My wife has a dumb phone. So I would use her upgrade to get a smart phone. Activate it, deactivate it, and switch it to my line, reactivate her dumb phone on her line. I was assured by a Verizon manager that I could use a third party vendor, like wirefly, and would not incur a penalty from verizon and that verizon would not penalize wirefly if I activate the phone on my line since I am not changing either of our plans, just switching the phone on the line. If this was ever resolved I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks,
Michael

muvipix

Reaction score
Yes, it was resolved. You simply need to contact Wirefly directly (as opposed to doing absolutely everything online) and let them know what/how you want to do it. Understand you should try to contact Wirefly directly, not their Customer Service system (they're bound by written rules, etc) - that didn't seem to help much.

If I remember, someone named "Kim' helped me immensely.

Good luck!

jmw

Reaction score
Yes, it was resolved. You simply need to contact Wirefly directly (as opposed to doing absolutely everything online) and let them know what/how you want to do it. Understand you should try to contact Wirefly directly, not their Customer Service system (they're bound by written rules, etc) - that didn't seem to help much.

If I remember, someone named "Kim' helped me immensely.

Good luck!

Thanks muvipix,
How did you go about contacting wirefly directly vs. through customer service? Do you have a number? Thanks and I'm excited that it worked for you!
Michael

muvipix

Reaction score
They actually called me on my cell phone in question (the number I was upgrading). I sent the Wirefly rep in this thread (not always the same person) a Private Message. Hopefully they're still active.

Wirefly

Reaction score
They actually called me on my cell phone in question (the number I was upgrading). I sent the Wirefly rep in this thread (not always the same person) a Private Message. Hopefully they're still active.

Hi muvipix, I haven't seen a PM from you. Would you mind resending it? If you still need assistance that is.

muvipix

Reaction score
I'm already taken care of. User jmw may want to contact you.

Irishbrio

Reaction score
Verizon Wireless does allow this. They do not report it as a deactivation if you purchase from Wirefly then move the phone numbers on a family plan.

The "rules" bikedogrun refers to have been updated fairly recently in an attempt to ease this type of confusion. If Verizon Wireless does not report your services as having been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, then you have nothing to worry about.

You heard it here.

Sorry to grab such an old post but......I am assuming that the rules have changed since this was offered? I am reading here and elsewhere that switching numbers on a family plan WILL cause Verizon to notify Firefly and the discount will be recouped?

I am in a similar situation to Muvipix from above. My wife used my upgrade about a year ago and now I'd like to use hers. I was hoping to just switch numbers after I receive the Droid. No changes to the plan....Verizon still gets the data plan fee on both phones (as a matter of fact because I had to choose a form of upgrade on the Wirefly site I believe Verizon will wind up getting a little more $$). As they lose no money, I do not know why they would report it as a deactivation. I am really not trying to hurt anyone here.....Verizon or Wirefly.....I just would like to upgrade from my pitiful Blackberry Storm.........is that so wrong? ;-)

Last edited: