Will GMail push without sync on?

PaulL

Reaction score
The only way I get notified that I have a new GMail is when I have sync turned on for my GMail account, with background data and auto sync active.

If I turn sync off (to save the battery), I never receive notice of new emails.

Is there someplace on Google to change my push settings?

I read somewhere that I may need to delete and re-iinstall my Gmail account on the Droid. I'm a bit wary to do that, as everything else on the phone works fine. I don't want to lose anything (contacts, emails, SMSs, etc)

OP
P

PaulL

Reaction score
Does anyone have GMail, and it pushes emails to their phone, WITHOUT having the sync on?

imiller913

Reaction score
I don't think it will work I just tried it and I couldn't get any messages on gmail acct until in turned auto-sync back on.

ToddP0530

Reaction score
It will NOT work. You have to have sync on to push. Sync is a connection to the network. It would be like loading outlook to download your email without having an internet connection. Blackberry has push email because it has "sync" or a network connection on.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
More to the point is how much battery do you really think this is saving you? I don't even see it on my list of battery usage so it's got to be under 2%. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.