WiFi woes

erniel29

Reaction score
The issue at hand here is with N mode. Many people think that everything is working fine, simply because they're able to connect. Have you done a speed test? It would be very helpful if you could switch your router to N only temporarily as a test. It would also be helpful if you could post your speed test results under N only.

Seapup

Reaction score
I have the Wi-Fi Analyzer app.
I check the Channel Rating option it shows me that I'm connected to channel 6 and the rating isn't so well as others for example channel 1.
How can I switch channels? I tried messing around in the phone settings but couldn't find anything.

You don't change your phone's wi-fi settings, you change your wi-fi router's channel to 1. Your phone will pick the new channel up.

vadgito

Reaction score
I just got off talking to the motorola tech support and they could not help me with this problem. At first they told me that the droid was "not compatible with the apple airport express." So i called their bluff and then they just tried to get me to warranty the phone. i still do not know if the wifi is defective or if it can be fixed in a firmware update. I made a post on the motorola forums and found other people with the same setup as me having the same problem, airport express n, wifi cuts out. People there said change to tkip, but there is no way to set TKIP on the airport. So then i tried my dlink dir-655 and voila, everything worked fine. So i think this is a compatibility with certain routers, the airport express n being one of them. Apple doesn't really give you that many settings to tweak but WEP and no security gave me the same troubles. Maybe if everyone with this issue posts their setup we can narrow down what is causing it.

Here is a video i made showing the problem: [video=youtube;GunoJ5akauc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GunoJ5akauc]YouTube - droid x wifi bug[/video]

erniel29

Reaction score
WIFI analyzer is useless here. I've tried every single channel available. What would really help here, is anyone with N routers who claim everything is working fine to download Speed Test, set their router to N only and run speed test to VERIFY that everything is fine. It is possible that some multiband routers will automatically switch to a band that works the best, which means that you may not be running in N mode at all. Some routers only run N mode on 5 GHZ, so you may think that you're running N, but you're really running b/g on 2.5 ghz since the X doesnt have a 5ghz radio. I have NON Apple devices running just fine on this router. Even my Dell laptop connects just fine on 5 GHZ. Thats nice thing about standards, you have so many to choose from.

So far I don't have any conclusive evidence that this phone is working properly on routers which are truly in N mode. The only wat to find out is to go into your router congigs and select N mode only 2.5 ghz.

erniel29

Reaction score
Download the Free Speedtest app. Seeing if youtube works is hardly a test. What is your router config?

vadgito

Reaction score
Download the Free Speedtest app. Seeing if youtube works is hardly a test. What is your router config?

Ok my dlink is set to, n only, auto 20/40mhz, wpa-personal, auto wpa or wpa2, aes. I get no disconnects. In the speedtest app i get 29ms ping, 5944kbps down 1709 up. Now on my apple airport express set to N-only 2.4, wpa/wpa2, I get a ping of 999ms(lol) 1484kbps down and 1365kbps up, and that's if i can get the test to run without the wifi disconnecting. So again, it seems to be certain routers that cause this issue.

wifiwiz

Reaction score
@erniel29
First - testing speedtest is nice, however, even just browsing would be sufficient. Most reports are saying that they cannot browse (See vadgito's youtube videos...). People that can browse and keep a stable connection obviously don't have the problem you are experiencing.
Second - yes there is a lot of variance in the market and as someone here already stated, that is one reason why router manufacturers are constantly working on updates. Have you verified you are using the latest firmware for the router? it is definitely worth the try...

@vadgito
Try to hard reset your Airport router. This has solved the problem for other users. The fact that it is working with other devices at this moment does not necessarily mean this is a DX problem.

wifiwiz

Reaction score
@vadgito
btw, what is the firmware version of your Airport router?

erniel29

Reaction score
That is real helpful, thanks. I guess next step is to go to Apple and see if they have any answers.

Reaction score
I am having (maybe) a different issue, maybe two. my connection acts like it is stuck in hibernation. This is usually witnessed when trying to download something from the market. It literally took 5+ minutes to download 60+- k. but, when i run speedtest, I am seeing between 5.8 mb/s - over 8 mb/s. Which is incredible. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Second issue. I was visiting a private lounge and was unable to obtain an IP address from their router. I had used this network w/out issue on a D.Inc. All others in the club were connected to this network with their 3g, 3gs, BB, etc. I don't know what kind of router. But I'd hate to think network config is necessary in order to use wifi. Anyone else having trouble even connecting to various networks?

Thanks,

vadgito

Reaction score
@erniel29
First - testing speedtest is nice, however, even just browsing would be sufficient. Most reports are saying that they cannot browse (See vadgito's youtube videos...). People that can browse and keep a stable connection obviously don't have the problem you are experiencing.
Second - yes there is a lot of variance in the market and as someone here already stated, that is one reason why router manufacturers are constantly working on updates. Have you verified you are using the latest firmware for the router? it is definitely worth the try...

@vadgito
Try to hard reset your Airport router. This has solved the problem for other users. The fact that it is working with other devices at this moment does not necessarily mean this is a DX problem.

I tried the hard reset (im assuming thats where you hold the button for 10 seconds) and unfortunately that didnt do the trick for me. I can still open google maps with the terrain layer on and it will load the first couple screens but eventually it will stall and i will get disconnected. Other apps do this to but google maps is the easiest way for me to get it to disconnect. I'd also like to add that it doesnt disconnect if my connection is idle, only when i browse or it is transmitting. Perhaps the radio is creating interference with itself somehow, but then why does my dlink work fine?

OP
F

fishfilet

Reaction score
I am actually having my problem with 802.11g not 802.11n

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

spinkick

Reaction score
yep I have the same problems. Rolled back to wpa instead of wpa2 and tkip and it seems stable for now.

mickmel

Reaction score
I still can't make it work on mine or my wife's X for more than a few minutes. WRT54G2, latest firmware, unsecured, nada. Router doesn't even support N, so that can't be the issue here, and we don't have it secured so that should eliminate other issues. Any ideas?

rmp459

Reaction score
same issue... AES + TKIP on my home routers seem to let me connect. But @ work, It will connect, if i turn off the display or let it sit for 60 seconds it drops wifi and wont reconnect. Linksys and Sonicwall WAPs here.

REALLY annoying.