WIFI vs 3GS Question

mrpbjnance

Reaction score
With an unlimited data plan what is the advantage of switching over and using WIFI?

Sorry stupid question but I am new to the smart phone stuff

Markee

Reaction score
If I had to guess, i would say the speed with wifi is much faster... (depending on your wifi speed)...

Get my droid tomorrow and will let you know for sure...

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well my wifi doesn't exactly work so none ;) but the speeds for most wifi's are faster then the 3G speeds, for me though, i really couldn't tell much of a different on the other phones i've messed with. Maybe with watching videos or the such might be faster.

rkcoll1

Reaction score
The main advantage would be the faster connection. My wifi connection at home runs about three times faster than 3G. Also there is a 5GB limit on data per month, so there are some folks that use their wifi to keep under that limit.

Stigy

Reaction score
Technically on Wifi the fastest possible speed you can have is 54 Mbps since that is the max transmission speed of 802.11g which is what the Droid has.

I also jump on Wifi to remote desktop into my computer at work while I am in the office sometimes or even to remote into my server while I am at home.

A

apeshitninja

Technically on Wifi the fastest possible speed you can have is 54 Mbps since that is the max transmission speed of 802.11g which is what the Droid has.

I also jump on Wifi to remote desktop into my computer at work while I am in the office sometimes or even to remote into my server while I am at home.

While it's true that you can theoretically get up to 54Mbps over Wifi, you won't see that in practice, and no matter how fast your connection to the WiFi Access Point is, Internet speeds are generally much slower so that will be your bottleneck. That said, with a broadband connection and an 802.11G wireless connection you *should* see faster speeds than your 3G connection.....plus data transferred over WiFi won't count towards your "Unlimited" bandwidth limit of 5GB/month.

Stigy

Reaction score
While it's true that you can theoretically get up to 54Mbps over Wifi, you won't see that in practice, and no matter how fast your connection to the WiFi Access Point is, Internet speeds are generally much slower so that will be your bottleneck.

I agree, I was just being nerdy and technical. :icon_ banana:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah for some reason when doing it at home and under the quick response it doesn't like me doing that, i have to remember to go advanced when posting links sorry.

AnnDroid

Reaction score
WiFi is simply faster

At my house on 3G I get about 2meg down and 750k up using Speedtest app.

On WiFi I get about 14 meg down and 2 meg up.

Zodduska

Reaction score
On wifi in my apartment I get 6945kbps and 1200kbps on 3g. This is on 16mb comcast so either the phone is topping out or my router, still blazing fast for a phone though.

Last edited:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
wifi - 8094 kbps
3g- 2110 kbps

damn good speed for a phone... i know people with home internet connections slower then both of those.