WiFi vs 3G

StinkyPete

Reaction score
I have found some conflicting info on this question on the forums so I thought I would post here...

I have a stock Fascinate and wanted to have it connect via WiFi as the default when it is in range of a network I have identified (e.g., my home network) and then 3G when it is not.

Is there any way to do this?

Bit of a newbie with the phone (it's my wife's phone actually...).

Thanks.

jchammer123

Reaction score
There's an app in the market called Y5 battery saver. Its only purpose is to remember the wifi points that you connect to and automatically connect to them when in range. Then when not in range, it turns wifi off.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
StinkyPete

StinkyPete

Reaction score
There's an app in the market called Y5 battery saver. Its only purpose is to remember the wifi points that you connect to and automatically connect to them when in range. Then when not in range, it turns wifi off.

Thanks... will give it a try.

Will the Fascinate default to use WiFi when it is available and connected as opposed to using 3G?

AllForNaught

Reaction score

Thanks... will give it a try.

Will the Fascinate default to use WiFi when it is available and connected as opposed to using 3G?

You're phone does this without the app. Use the built in Wireless and Networks settings. Not sure why everyone is so obsessed with cluttering up your phone with dl apps you don't need.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

jchammer123

Reaction score
I apologize. I didn't know the fascinate did that, I was just giving you an option. If your phone does it without the app then do it that way!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I apologize. I didn't know the fascinate did that, I was just giving you an option. If your phone does it without the app then do it that way!

Actually all Android phones do this. But when wifi not in range its scanning which runs the battery down. So really that app isn't a bad suggestion.

Sent from somewhere...

jchammer123

Reaction score
Lol, I guess I did know that. I used the app for a long time and it worked great. I only use wifi at home now so I just uninstalled it because I decided to keep only the neccesities on my phone.

OP
StinkyPete

StinkyPete

Reaction score
Sorry guys... back to my follow up question... does it default to WiFi as opposed to 3G when in range?

jchammer123

Reaction score
Yes it does. If you just use the phone option, then wifi is on all the time and when your inrange it will connect automatically. If you use the app, then the wifi stops searching when not in range of the remembered connections, thus saving battery life. Either way, when not in range of a wifi connection it just defaults to 3G.