Wifi usage and battery info?

Reaction score
I've read that wifi is a drain on battery. For clarification, is being connected the drain, or just leaving the setting on so that the phone is constantly looking for a network?

stanrc

Reaction score
Leaving it on when you aren't connected is a drain. Because then it is probing for networks.

Candice

Reaction score
It's hard for me to say, I *have* to use wifi when I'm at home. (I have little to no 3G coverage here) Since I'm unemployed (I start new job tomorrow) I'm home a lot, when I look at my battery usage, my wifi uses the most (22%) the next highest thing is display at 18% (which could be adjusted if I changed my settings, obviously.)

Even when I don't have it on, I don't notice a drastic difference in battery life. But perhaps I don't pay close enough attention.

I think it matters if it's constantly searching vs using your home wifi though.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is, indeed, the searching for a wifi network, not being connected to a wifi network that drains the battery. In fact, if your wifi speed is significantly faster than 3G (as most will be if the connection is strong) it can be argued that wifi is less of a battery drain simply because the data transfers are much faster.

Candice

Reaction score
It is, indeed, the searching for a wifi network, not being connected to a wifi network that drains the battery. In fact, if your wifi speed is significantly faster than 3G (as most will be if the connection is strong) it can be argued that wifi is less of a battery drain simply because the data transfers are much faster.

Data transfers faster AND it's not always bouncing in and out of 3G or searching (which is the case when I just walk through my house)