wifi tethering vs pda net

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am in class with a rooted droid, granted I just went from DM to cyanogen, and I was needing to use my laptop to pull up a file my prof sent us. I proudly whipped out my droid and went wifi with it. But my laptop would have the signal then drop it. I got frustrated and downloaded Pdanet. I am using it now to type this message. But I begin to wonder if wifi tethering is over rated. Yeah it is good to connect an iphone/ipad/ipod touch/blackberry/mobile device to the web; but as far as using it pdanet seems to be ideal. I mean If I am going to tether for a period of time Ima have my charger and it is nothing to connect it to my laptop via usb cord.
One of the selling points for rooting is wifi tethering but I do not think you NEED it. Its a nice tool yeah, but I can get by with PDAnet.
I will admit when I rooted wifi tethering was high on my list.....After today it just dropped a few slots.
Am I being harsh.........what you guys think.

crspang

Reaction score
I haven't had that trouble with wifi tether. I watched two episodes of Human Target today with it today.

Just my. 02

Riddick

Reaction score
I have had zero trouble with wifi tethering. The benefit of wifi tethering is that you don't need to carry around a USB cable and you can connect devices such as an Ipod Touch. I also like being able to tether a coworkers laptop while across the room without having to sit directly next to them tethered by a stupid cable.

Wifi tethering is simply much more convenient. There's nothing stopping you from having both though.

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have been using PDANet all the time and it flakes on me. Random disconnects. Right now I am trying to do the Wifi tether and can't get the computer to connect. It sees it, I don't have an encryption on (I couldn't get it to work with it on, so trying without). What am I missing on the Wifi?

EDIT: I am currently using BB .9 right now. Anyone else tried it on that?

Last edited:

huskur

Reaction score
No issue here with tether. Pre 8 seems to works the best. I always use wifi and I get speeds comperable to dsl. Which verizon 3G is close to in my area. Flawless