wifi tether constantly force-closes

OpalCat

Reaction score
I'm running Bugless Beast v0.9, ChevyNo1 kernel. I am OC'd to 800.

The other night we had a power outage, and I wanted to find the power company's website. Since the power was down, the router was out, so I said no problem! I'll tether with my Droid! I opened wifi tether for root users and it force closed immediately. I tried several times including rebooting the phone a couple of times, but got nothing. It just force closes every time. I don't know how to uninstall and reinstall the app since I don't know where to get it (don't see it in the market) so I didn't try that.

Any tips?

05Ravenr6

Reaction score
Has It ever worked for you or was this the first time you tried it? One thing you can do is try and edit the permissions by going into astro or root explorer and find the app and then long press it to open up the options to edit permissions. Make sure under user that read write and execute are all checked
Edit: make sure you reboot after changing permissions

Last edited:
OP
OpalCat

OpalCat

Reaction score
I tested it when I first got it and it worked fine. I'll check the permissions.

Edited to add: Um... where is it and what is it called? I am using Root Explorer and I looked in system\app and didn't see anything that looked like it was it...? Is it somewhere else? Does it have an unexpected filename?

Last edited:

05Ravenr6

Reaction score
I'm running Bugless Beast v0.9, ChevyNo1 kernel. I am OC'd to 800.

The other night we had a power outage, and I wanted to find the power company's website. Since the power was down, the router was out, so I said no problem! I'll tether with my Droid! I opened wifi tether for root users and it force closed immediately. I tried several times including rebooting the phone a couple of times, but got nothing. It just force closes every time. I don't know how to uninstall and reinstall the app since I don't know where to get it (don't see it in the market) so I didn't try that.

Any tips?

Anyone? (bumping for the daytime people)
Search wireless_tether in astro

OP
OpalCat

OpalCat

Reaction score
Search wireless_tether in astro
Nothing found for wireless_tether or for wifi_tether. Searching for 'tether' gave me two tar.gz files and one properties file in TitaniumBackup... I think I'm going to try to go to TitaniumBackup and restore it from there...?

OP
OpalCat

OpalCat

Reaction score
Ok I tried to restore it from there and now it says it is not installed. How do I reinstall it?

rich_r

Reaction score
If your ROM came with wifi tether built in then you may not be able to uninstall in without using adb or Root Explorer. If you downloaded it yourself (doesn't sound like it) you should be able t uninstall in thru Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications. If you google wifi tether for Android you should find a download site (its a code.google.com site).

You could always try Barnacle wifi tether from the Market. I have both versions of wifi tether.

And of course if you want to switch to the cyanogenmod ROM it has wired tethering built in (wireless is not built in, but can be downloaded).

OP
OpalCat

OpalCat

Reaction score
That link worked to reinstall it, but it's still force-closing :(
I will go look for barnacle and try that out (I'm going to be at a hotel for the rest of the week starting tomorrow, and it only has paid internet, so I want to get this tethering working!)

05Ravenr6

Reaction score
download root explorer if you dont have it already. It costs a couple $'s but is well worth the money. Like the others have said, download the wireless tether 10 apk(latest one), click mount r/w in Root explorer and copy it into system/apps, then install it. Make sure the permissions are correct under "user"(check all 3 boxes) and that should completely solve your issue.

05Ravenr6

Reaction score
That link worked to reinstall it, but it's still force-closing :(
I will go look for barnacle and try that out (I'm going to be at a hotel for the rest of the week starting tomorrow, and it only has paid internet, so I want to get this tethering working!)
did you edit the permissions?

OP
OpalCat

OpalCat

Reaction score
I have Root Explorer already. I downloaded the apk though the phone and installed it and it still FCs. I installed Barnacle just now and I seem to have gotten it working! I'm posting this tethered through Barnacle right now! Thanks guys!