Wifi randomly turns itself on when I am on a phone call

phoenix415

Reaction score
This recently started happening to me (past three or four weeks). I will make or receive a phone call and after I hang up the phone, I notice the wifi has turned itself on. Sometimes, I notice it while I'm on the phone call and click my wifi widget to turn it off, but it immediately turns itself back on. The strangest part is that it doesn't happen every single phone call, but enough that I'm getting annoyed because I know the wifi is draining my battery searching for networks I don't want to connect to! I rarely even use wifi, so this is a major annoyance.

I've searched the internet and forums quite a bit and see some other people have the problem with it turning itself on, but none have mentioned that it only happens when they are on a phone call, so my problem is somewhat different, it seems. I'm thinking it might be an app, but even in looking at the running apps while on a phone call, I have no idea which could potentially be the culprit (if it is, in fact, an app problem). Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone found a solution? Does anyone know of any known apps that have a tendency to automatically turn wifi on while on a phone call?

I have tried a battery pull and I had done a factory reset (for other reasons) over the summer, and haven't really added many new apps since then, so maybe an app updated and altered something. I do NOT want to do another factory reset, that was not fun.

Thanks to any and all that can help!

Snow02

Reaction score
Since you cannot access data while on a call, if a data request is made, wifi turns on.

No idea how to prevent it though. Sorry.

OP
P

phoenix415

Reaction score
Since you cannot access data while on a call, if a data request is made, wifi turns on.

No idea how to prevent it though. Sorry.

Hmmm, that's the strange thing, it's not as though I'm trying to connect and surf the net while on a call, I'll sometimes just answer a call with my bluetooth and when I hang up, wifi is on. I suppose an app I have loaded could need a constant data connection and when 3G is tied up, it launches wifi, but no clue which app it could be.

pool_shark

Reaction score
That was happening to my brother's DX at his house but not mine. I change the security on his router and he hasn't had any more problems.

OP
P

phoenix415

Reaction score
That was happening to my brother's DX at his house but not mine. I change the security on his router and he hasn't had any more problems.

It isn't that it is connecting to a wifi spot when I don't want it to, it is that it is automatically turning wifi on when it had been in the off setting--it doesn't connect to a wifi spot, it just turns on and searches, which drains my battery.

pool_shark

Reaction score
It isn't that it is connecting to a wifi spot when I don't want it to, it is that it is automatically turning wifi on when it had been in the off setting--it doesn't connect to a wifi spot, it just turns on and searches, which drains my battery.

I don't understand. You said it disconnects and retries. I'm saying my brother's DX was also doing that at his house, but at my house it stayed connected.
I went to his house, connected to his wifi, and mine disconnected, which doesn't happen at my house.
I changed the security setting on his router and he no longer disconnects.

OP
P

phoenix415

Reaction score
I don't understand. You said it disconnects and retries. I'm saying my brother's DX was also doing that at his house, but at my house it stayed connected.
I went to his house, connected to his wifi, and mine disconnected, which doesn't happen at my house.
I changed the security setting on his router and he no longer disconnects.

I always have wifi turned off on my phone. I rarely, if ever, use it. When I make a phone call, sometimes wifi turns itself on without me doing anything other than taking or making a phone call. It doesn't connect to wifi at all, it just turns it on and searches for wifi access points. Sometimes, there aren't even wifi access points anywhere near me when it happens (at work for instance, there is no wifi within, or in range of, my building, yet it still sometimes turns wifi on and searches for access points). So, I don't think it is a router security problem because there are sometimes no routers anywhere near my phone and it still switches on wifi without my wanting it to do so.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I always have wifi turned off on my phone. I rarely, if ever, use it. When I make a phone call, sometimes wifi turns itself on without me doing anything other than taking or making a phone call. It doesn't connect to wifi at all, it just turns it on and searches for wifi access points. Sometimes, there aren't even wifi access points anywhere near me when it happens (at work for instance, there is no wifi within, or in range of, my building, yet it still sometimes turns wifi on and searches for access points). So, I don't think it is a router security problem because there are sometimes no routers anywhere near my phone and it still switches on wifi without my wanting it to do so.

Ok, I see now. Do you have it set to notify you of nearby access points?
Settings - wireless - wifi settings.

OP
P

phoenix415

Reaction score
Ok, I see now. Do you have it set to notify you of nearby access points?
Settings - wireless - wifi settings.

I did have it set to notify, which still shouldn't affect my phone if wifi is turned off, but turned it off after you asked--it still turns itself on. Still can't figure this out. Wondering if there are any know popular apps that cause wifi to turn on when a phone call comes through.