WiFi problems

slimpirudude

Reaction score
Okay guys first off I know there's bunch of posts / threads about this already so sorry, and yes I used search. My problem is different. Okay here we go...

Every since I have been roming my phone I have only used WiFi a few times. Recently I've been needing to use it more. No matter what Rom I am on the problem persists. ( as far as I know) when I turn on WiFi and search I find network I want to connect to.(example home) It is a open connection that works fine on laptop, desktop ect. It shows up, I connect and all looks well. But I'm not getting any data transferred. Can't connect to ****. I really am lost after days of struggling with this... can someone please help me get it figured out? FYI I'm currently on miui and others on same Rom have no problems, and as I mentioned its been on several diff roms. All help is appreciated..

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Install Network Info II from the market and check if your phone gets an IP address at all.

jsloppy

Reaction score
My droid razr m is having problems with wifi. It will connect to my router at my house but will not connect to the internet without either service or 3g/4g. Once it has either of those it is fine. Been having this problem pretty much since i got it this spring.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Do you have a max number set on your router? What kind of router is it?

Suggested from Beer Tent Capital of the World.

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
There is a setting in WiFi where it won't connect to weak signals. I just uncheck it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
There is a ton of information on the internet about phones having wifi problems after the Jelly Bean update. Your phone probably came pre-loaded with Jelly Bean. If you do an internet search for "Droid razr wifi router" one of the results is a discussion about the Razr series and wifi on the Moto Forum. I would post a link, but not sure what the site rules are here about posting links to other forums. There is a link in one of the threads to a list of wireless routers that some folks claim will work fine with Razr phones running Jelly Bean. No one should have to buy a new router for their phone to work on wifi, but it is something to consider. This issue appears to affect more than the Razr phones. I do know that my wireless router is on that list (I found it on sale in December for 50% off and couldn't pass it up) and I have 2 Razr M phones, my Droid Bionic (with the JB update) and two Kindle HD tablets connected every day and they all work fine, even at the same time.

Dave517

Reaction score
My droid razr m is having problems with wifi. It will connect to my router at my house but will not connect to the internet without either service or 3g/4g. Once it has either of those it is fine. Been having this problem pretty much since i got it this spring.

Your question is contradictory. If on wifi you are not using 3g/4g. I read your message as your having problems connecting period. I find 4g is spotty with my droid razr m, 3g always comes thru, and wifi works perfectly when in a wifi zone. At home, wifi is extremely strong and very fast. I do subscribe to a higher end internet connection at home plus bought a fairly high end wireless router last december so all that probably helps. I barely use my data plan as wifi is almost everywhere I go.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your question is contradictory. If on wifi you are not using 3g/4g. I read your message as your having problems connecting period. I find 4g is spotty with my droid razr m, 3g always comes thru, and wifi works perfectly when in a wifi zone. At home, wifi is extremely strong and very fast. I do subscribe to a higher end internet connection at home plus bought a fairly high end wireless router last december so all that probably helps. I barely use my data plan as wifi is almost everywhere I go.

I have a widget pack , Easy Switch, that caused the same thing on my Rezound. Turn on Wi-Fi, nothing. Turn on Wi-Fi then Verizon data network, 4g/3g would start, then Wi-Fi would connect and take priority over Verizon data network. I'd cut off the data network and Wi-Fi would work fine. A reboot of the phone often, but not always, would clear it up for a while.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

Spey

Reaction score
WiFi INternet Connection Problems

I would suggest you restart all equipment (to clear any existing issues).
1. Unplug from power (115v from wall) Router & Modem.
2. Power down phone.
3. Power down all WiFi connected devices.
4. Wait 30-60 seconds.
5. Plug in Modem & wait for it to fully boot (all indicator lights as they should be).
6. Plug in WiFi Router & wait for it to fully boot (all indicator lights as they should be).
7. Power up Moto Razr M & wait for it to fully boot.
8. Confirm Razr M WiFi Frequency matches your WiFi Modem (read below).

Understand the Moto Razr M has two WiFi Radio Frequencies (2.4GHz & 5Ghz) that are user selectable (one principal reason I selected Razr M's). If you have a cordless phone (one that base unit connects to wall jack with RJ45 square connector), you may be experiencing wireless frequency conflict (example cordless phones run on either 2.4GHz or 5GHZ). Additionally, WiFi Routers also run on 2.4GHz and or 5GHz Frequencies. If you suspect issue with conflict (it could be because the base unit for your cordless phone is interfering with your WiFi Router). Consider moving Cordless Base Unit further away from WiFi Router and/or running Cordless Phone on one Frequency and WiFi Router on different.

As you can see, there are a multitude of "potential" issues you may be having (especially if you have Cordless Base Unit that lives near your WiFi Router).

Also, if you have not already familiarize yourself with how and what frequency (2.4GHz and/or 5GHz) you have your Razr M set to use.

A little more info related to your specific equipment may help someone to properly answer your questions related to why you are having problems.

We run a Dual-Band WiFi Router, simultaneously broadcasting on both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz. I normally run my Razr M's on 2.4GHz (as this longer wavelength frequency travels further, with stronger signal further from the WiFi Router). If 2.4Ghz is being used by other, and or I am near the WiFi Router I choose to use the 5GHz connection. My WiFi connections on each Razr M are very good and consistent (so long as I understand the limitations and strengths of each frequency option).

Hopefully, some answers contained somewhere here or at least a few things that may help you to identify why you may be having issues.

Regards,