When wifi is enabled, battery will not charge

srfrmac87

Reaction score
I have not done too much to my phone, downloaded a few apps and other than that i am stock. I am running stock rom and not rooted. I dont know if this is a general problem or something i happened to pick up from an app. When i plug in my d2g into a wall unit (usb --> computer connection is not tried), the phone simply will not charge, disabling wifi instantly allows it to start charging. i noticed this after it was plugged in overnight without charging, i turned wifi off while still plugged in and it started chargin then took about an hour to get full charge. Anyone have any insite on this problem? its not a huge deal, but i just prefer that if i forget to turn wifi off or want to use it while plugged in i can and still have it charge. Thanks for your help

Reaction score
This is not normal. You could try doing a factory data reset. Or if it's a new phone, take it back to where you got it.

OP
srfrmac87

srfrmac87

Reaction score
Ok. Will doing this remove all apps and that sort of thing. Can I use a backup program without having root?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

RVdroid

Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you only really need to worry about your contacts, back those up. I believe your apps will automatically re-download when you visit the market again. I could be wrong though.
But, yeah the charging thing is definitely not right.

OP
srfrmac87

srfrmac87

Reaction score
it may be because i am using usb to wall charger by a third party company. i plugged oem charger in and all seemed well. also used usb to my computer. all is fine. i suspect its the charger, but who knows. i will be testing this further before i do anything else. thank you guys for your response

RVdroid

Reaction score
That's frustrating, the fault probably is with the charger (non oem), still an odd thing, but if you tried to return it they'd probably say, "well it does charge with wi-fi off"
I hope it's just the charger. Glad to hear it's working fine now.:)

Reaction score
It's a known issue that these phones do NOT like non-oem chargers. There's tons of threads where off brand chargers cause screen and software glitches.

OP
srfrmac87

srfrmac87

Reaction score
yeah, i kinda figured that. i am using ezestand (which is great by the way) and the one i use (one for droid x, works but needs modification) requires the use of a 90 degree adapter. i suppose i will continue the search to remedy the problem. thank you again for the help

Last edited:

leobg

Reaction score
You must use a charger that provides at least 800 mAh output.
When charging from PC you get 550 mAh max. Thats barely enough to kick charging in. Many aftermarket chargers provide 350 or even less mAh which I guess is the case with you. Phone with wifi on consumes more than charger can provide.
With 800+ mAh phone will charge in about 2 hours from empty to full with wifi on in standby (wifi sleep disabled). That with the standard BP6X battery.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

ezeStand

Reaction score
yeah, i kinda figured that. i am using ezestand (which is great by the way) and the one i use (one for droid x, works but needs modification) requires the use of a 90 degree adapter. i suppose i will continue the search to remedy the problem. thank you again for the help
Hi srfrmac87,
If you suspect that the charger may have an issue, please send us a PM with your mailing address and email and we will ship you out another charger free of charge right away!
Thanks,