Phone not charging properly

Aroth

Reaction score
Ok so quick question (I hope). When I plug my phone in to the wall to charge, it has a tendency to not charge correctly. I will plug it in when I go to bed and the next morning it will be extremely warm and will have charged all of 10% if I''m lucky. When I plug it into my car charger it charges normally and the same when I plug it into my laptop (albeit a bit slower).

I suspect that for some reason when I plug it into the wall charger it is starting some process in the CPU that for some reason never completes or clears out, like its stuck in a processor loop. This extended CPU usage would account for the temperature of the phone in the morning, as well as explain why it only charged 5% to 10% over the course of 6+ hours.

Also, it only does this if the phone is on and booted into the OS when I plug it in. If I plug the phone in when it is powered down, it turns on and boots to a large battery image that shows the charge level and then charges normally and doesn't heat up.

The charger I am using is an LG charger from my grandmother's phone because it was longer and I ended up bringing it home that weekend instead of my own.

lizard

Reaction score
Don't use that charger. Use yours. Its probably your battery that is what is heating up. Charging your phone via usb will take a long time to fully charge if you are playing music while also on your deskktop doing something else, for instance, because it does not put out enough charging current. In real small print, there should be information on both chargers. Compare and see. The wall charger for your phone is the best way to charge it.

mfendley

Reaction score
I've experienced that with my D2G with stock charging equipment, to the point I always ensure that it is charging before I go to bed. Sometimes I have to restart the phone for it to recognize the charger.

OP
A

Aroth

Reaction score
Don't use that charger. Use yours. Its probably your battery that is what is heating up. Charging your phone via usb will take a long time to fully charge if you are playing music while also on your deskktop doing something else, for instance, because it does not put out enough charging current. In real small print, there should be information on both chargers. Compare and see. The wall charger for your phone is the best way to charge it.

I am using a wall charger. I was using this charger with my old Droid without any problems. It was only once tech support replaced it with the D2G that the issue started up. I did root and flash to Fission 2.4.3 within two days of getting the phone though so I do not know if its an issue with my phone or with the rom.

Also, it is not the battery heating up, its the top part of the phone where the camera and cpu are. I can take the battery out and it ceases to even be warm within 30 seconds, whereas it takes the actual handset a good 2 minutes to cool off.

I've experienced that with my D2G with stock charging equipment, to the point I always ensure that it is charging before I go to bed. Sometimes I have to restart the phone for it to recognize the charger.

It recognizes the charger just fine and shows that it is charging. In fact it has to be getting some charge or it would go form 40% when I go to bed to being at 5% or powered down when I wake up. That and the temperature are why I think its a software issue.

OP
A

Aroth

Reaction score
Have you tried wiping battery stats?

I have not tired yet, and it seems to be charged without issues tonight. If it happens again (which I'm sure it will tomorrow night) I will try wiping the battery stats.

Edit: Ok so it was at 10% when I plugged it in. I checked it periodically and it got to about 60% then the last time two times I checked it was at 50% and the phone was starting to heat up again. The phone, not the battery. I just wiped battery stats, but unfortunately I do not have the spare time to do a full reset of the battery by draining and recharging it. I am really starting to think there is something wrong with either my phone itself or with the software.

Last edited:

leobg

Reaction score
If you have a chance - try swapping the battery with another one. If you have spare battery left from your old droid you can use it - D2G battery is the same.
When you charge off the wall charger, the current wall chargers supply is higher - 850-1000 and even more mA. USB and most car cargers supply 500mA at most. If battery currently in the phone isn't "liking" the higher rate charge the issue you described could occur.

OP
A

Aroth

Reaction score
If you have a chance - try swapping the battery with another one. If you have spare battery left from your old droid you can use it - D2G battery is the same.
When you charge off the wall charger, the current wall chargers supply is higher - 850-1000 and even more mA. USB and most car cargers supply 500mA at most. If battery currently in the phone isn't "liking" the higher rate charge the issue you described could occur.

Unfortunately I no longer have that battery as I received this phone from tech support after numerous issues with my Droid. I had to send the old phone in to their distribution center with its battery. Not sure if it matters or not, but the battery I was given with the new phone was one of the extended life batteries.