WiFi or 3G for the OTA Update, etc.

Sal

Reaction score
Did not want to get lost in the ridiculously enormous and randomly off-point and hostile 2.1. thread under "Droid News."

Just want some basic info from you adorable experts! :icon_ devil: Such as: Since there have been problems with WiFi, but WiFi is faster (and cleaner maybe), would it be better to be in 3G or WiFi when the OTA update comes? And though I know connection times vary, about how long should the update take to download and install? Is it a matter of a minute or two or is it an extended process? Just want to know a little about what to expect as a smartphone newbie...

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
I mean WiFi is always a better connection, but we dont really know how big the file is or even when it wil be pushed so, can't really answer those questions for ya.

huskur

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. You just don't want to be "roaming". (non 3G area) Wifi will be just fine. Besides, are you going to sit near wifi until you get the update? may be a while. No worries. 3G will be fine and more than sufficient. its a 14 MB file

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. You just don't want to be "roaming". (non 3G area) Wifi will be just fine. Besides, are you going to sit near wifi until you get the update? may be a while. No worries. 3G will be fine and more than sufficient. its a 14 MB file

Thanks, guys. Whenever I'm home, which is a lot since I work from home, I tend to be in WiFi. But that may have to change with the update. Since yahoo mail is so buggy, I've been waiting for official 2.1 to access my account via "push" (rather than browser). But, sadly, oddly, a footnote in the official verizon pdf on 2.1. mentions that the big yahoo mail update won't work on wifi!

krazykarl

Reaction score

Thanks, guys. Whenever I'm home, which is a lot since I work from home, I tend to be in WiFi. But that may have to change with the update. Since yahoo mail is so buggy, I've been waiting for official 2.1 to access my account via "push" (rather than browser). But, sadly, oddly, a footnote in the official verizon pdf on 2.1. mentions that the big yahoo mail update won't work on wifi!

Actually it says it won't work on "Verizon Wifi" which, based on a google search is a service from verizon that lets you get into wifi hotspots at airports, etc. So there shouldn't be a problem with it on your home wifi if that's the case.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The last time there was an update, I had no access to WiFi (and barely had 3G) and it updated fine.

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score

Actually it says it won't work on "Verizon Wifi" which, based on a google search is a service from verizon that lets you get into wifi hotspots at airports, etc. So there shouldn't be a problem with it on your home wifi if that's the case.

I thought that it might mean something like that too, until yesterday. But a leaked Verizon internal memo made that wifi issue seem to be broader. Check out the line about "email":

Report: 2.1 Update Delayed? | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog