No 3G Data Connection After Being On Wifi

mmcompute

Reaction score
This seems to be a reoccurring issue in this forum. Here's my story:

1. I connected to my home Wifi network for about 24 hours.
  2. I left home but did not turn Wifi off
    1. This is where the Droid previously switched from Wifi to 3G automatically.
  3. 3G Data never reconnected.
I have tried several of the solutions posted in this forum including activating Airplane Mode then taking the battery out for 15 minutes. I've rebooted many, many times but everything I've tried fails. I can only connect to a WiFi network - no 3G. Verizon tech support suggested a factory reset but, before I do that and lose all my settings, applications, and text messages, I wanted to ask if anyone else has a fix for this problem.

I'm using 2.1 Update 1 on a Motorola Droid.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks!

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thats very odd... curious to learn why. Myself, never had this problem.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This happens because your wifi mode is still on. You need to turn off wifi.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
titans, not true... when wifi is dropped the droid automatically jumps to 3G, and it keeps scanning for open wifi spots while it uses 3G.

OP
M

mmcompute

Reaction score
My WiFi is off. I've turned it on and off manually several times trying to get 3G to connect but still no luck. There is a strong 3G signal in this area and other Droid users (friends) have 3G with 4 bars. It seems to be something with my phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try resetting your PRL's. I really don't know if that will help but give it a try, *228 option 2.

Is it only in one area where you don't have 3G or is it everywhere? You've got to take your phone to a different spot and find out if something hasn't gone wrong in your area. That happened to me, I went to 1 bar/no service and 1x if I was lucky. Called Verizon and they did a trouble ticket. It was fixed in 4 days.

OP
M

mmcompute

Reaction score
I tried the *228 option yesterday with a Verizon tech support person. That did not work. I also have traveled over 20 miles this morning from home to work with no change in 3G. I still can't get on.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try a battery pull.

If that doesnt help, you should take it in to Verizon.

r1nstang

Reaction score
Try resetting your PRL's. I really don't know if that will help but give it a try, *228 option 2.

Is it only in one area where you don't have 3G or is it everywhere? You've got to take your phone to a different spot and find out if something hasn't gone wrong in your area. That happened to me, I went to 1 bar/no service and 1x if I was lucky. Called Verizon and they did a trouble ticket. It was fixed in 4 days.

who do I need to reach for a trouble ticket? I dont get crap for reception...i mean not just 3G...but no connection while at work...in a business district. will they issue a trouble ticket for just 1 or 2 complaints? only 1 other person I work with has verizon and has the same issue

RolandE

Reaction score
My Droid Incredible with 2.2 also will not return to 3G once I use Wifi, until I power off. After the power off/on 3G works fine, and Wifi works fine.

But, once I switch to Wifi, and then after I turn the Wifi off, I no longer can get 3G without powering off/on. This problem only started after I uploaded 2.2.

Anyone else having this problem?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My Droid Incredible with 2.2 also will not return to 3G once I use Wifi, until I power off. After the power off/on 3G works fine, and Wifi works fine.

But, once I switch to Wifi, and then after I turn the Wifi off, I no longer can get 3G without powering off/on. This problem only started after I uploaded 2.2.

Anyone else having this problem?

Roland, I would suggest trying the following(starting at top and working down if problem not solved):

1. Call *228 then option 2
2. Factory hard reset
3. Go to Verizon store and have them reflash the 2.2 os.

There may be other options, but those are the ones I can think of right now.

Oh, BTW when it happens try to put it in Airplane mode and then after a few seconds turn off Airplane mode. That has worked rather than having to reboot the phone every time.

Good luck.

jnew

Reaction score
Same problem here. When I have WiFi on at home, then leave and lose WiFi, it no longer automatically connects to 3g (it used to).

MmanikK

Reaction score
Has anyone ever found a solution to this?

I am having the same exact issue with the HTC Thunderbolt. It worked great for 3 or 4 months. I NEVER turned my wifi off and I was always able to access the internet on both wifi and 3g/4g. Now suddenly I get no connection for any apps or the browser when I leave a wifi network.

Switching to airplane mode and back occasionally (but not always) helps. Rebooting usually does the trick but is a complete pain.

Any help would be appreciated.