WIFI in France

Cobraboy1997

Reaction score
I know I can't use my Droid as a phone outside the US.

But, I wonder if I can use any of the WIFI functionality in France? Thinking of Google Maps, etc.

I thought I had read somewhere there were regulations against this in some European countries.

Any help would be appreciated!

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I didn't have the Droid when I was in Europe so I can't really help you there, but I was wondering where in France you'll be.

Sleeve

Reaction score
It'll work at the majority of wifi hotspots. I posted something on a different thread that might have caused you unnecessary concern. I carry a wifi travel router that I can plug into a hotel's wired internet connection. There are differences in three or four (I forget) of the channels between the US and EU, and there are some frequencies (channels) that US devices have that should not be used in EU because they interfere with other devices assigned to that frequency. That only really matters if you're transmitting a wifi signal using an access point like I was.

The only possible case where a wifi hotspot could exist but you can't see it is when it uses one of the EU only frequencies. We have more frequencies in common with the EU than unique, so odds are very much in your favor. I can't say for sure what success you'd have in France, but I had no problems in Belgium last month.

OP
Cobraboy1997

Cobraboy1997

Reaction score
Going to be in the Provence region of France for a couple of weeks. Thought it would be great to have all the features with WIFI.

I can carry my old BB Tour with me for phone service.

Appreciate the quick responses!

slowbot

Reaction score
Were you able to use WIFI functionality in France?

I'm headed to France/UK next month and had the same question for my droid 4.

how did it work out for you?

any pointers are appreciated - thanks