Droid 2 Global in France

sueoc

Reaction score
We will be in France soon. I checked with Verizon and using the phone there sounds very expensive. So I'll make do with using it only as a wifi device, which should be handy as wifi is available everywhere. However, I want to make sure I understand what I need to do.

It's my understanding that if I turn airplane mode ON and then turn the wifi ON (because airplane mode turns it off), then I'm all set. But: do I need to turn off "background data" and "data enabled" as well? Just want to make sure I don't get stuck with a big phone bill.

Another thing. I saw a notice on my phone that I cannot use wifi outside in France. Anybody know why?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I don't know about that warning but you are correct in setting it up for wifi only. Airplane mode then turn on wifi. You can leave everything else alone, background data and all that will go over wifi so you're good.

end of line...

iguanad

Reaction score
We will be in France soon. I checked with Verizon and using the phone there sounds very expensive. So I'll make do with using it only as a wifi device, which should be handy as wifi is available everywhere. However, I want to make sure I understand what I need to do.

It's my understanding that if I turn airplane mode ON and then turn the wifi ON (because airplane mode turns it off), then I'm all set. But: do I need to turn off "background data" and "data enabled" as well? Just want to make sure I don't get stuck with a big phone bill.

Another thing. I saw a notice on my phone that I cannot use wifi outside in France. Anybody know why?

If you uncheck "allow data raoming" it will not allow the cellular data to be used, only WIFI.

silver6054

Reaction score

If you uncheck "allow data raoming" it will not allow the cellular data to be used, only WIFI.
And, if you want to be extra safe, remove the SIM card as well. Just in case the phone reboots for example, and comes back in non-airplane mode. Without the SIM, there will be no charges!