Wifi greyed out, cannot turn on after restore.

Brovashift

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
i9505
Hello again peoples :)

I was having some issues with my camera not working, which the conclusion was to be hardware related. seen post: How to repair Camera? Camera Failed.

I required a new motherboard but due to the cost compared to a new Samsung galaxy s4 (spare or repairs) I decided to get a full handset that just required a new sim card slot, and which I have repaired and is working correctly.

I backed up my stock rom and all apps, accounts, data, etc. using TWRP, as I will never be able to remember all my passwords etc. if I had too. Everything backup related went as expected as it usually does, and I have restored everything to this new s4 i9505 (same as previous version).

Everything seems to be as it should, apart from wifi will not turn on. Its greyed out and when I try to switch the little button on it just springs back to the off position.

The device is rooted as always, and I have Root Explorer app installed. I read online to go to data/misc/wifi/"something".config (cant remember the exact name now), and change the name of this file in order to get it to work, however this was not successful for me.

The only thing I can see that's different from my old device is the IMEI number of the handset, could this be the issue? Does the IMEI number have anything to do with device setup relating to WiFi?

Does anyone know how I can get this thing to work?

I have tried to change/repair my IMEI number to my old devices number which the backed up rom was from, using QPST, but havent had any success with that has I cant find the correct drive for windows 7 x64. If anyone can help with this, or some other relevant software as well, much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I had a similar issue with my old Galaxy Nexus when I was ROM crazy. Eventually I had just ended up reflashing the ROM and it fixed my issue.

The IMEI really shouldn't have to do anything with the wifi, but I could be wrong. Flash a fresh stock image or just do an FDR and see if that helps. It won't help your issue with your passwords, but it's a start to find out if it's hardware failure or not.

TWRP and backups are great, but I always took it a step further in case and did a Titanium Backup backup as well. And yes it is an app that is well worth the price for premium features.

OP
B

Brovashift

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
i9505
Hi Dezy,

Ye when I flash another rom onto the device theres no issue, but when I backup a stock rom from one device and try to restore it on the new one, I get this wifi error.

FDR? Factory reset? Ive tried that as well just out of curiosity, but no joy! so it would seem to me that its a conflict somewhere, rather than a failure.

Ive seen a lot of internet cries for help related to this wifi disabled/greyed out problem, but as mine is a little more unique (i think) due to the fact Im trying to move stoke from one device to another I dont think the solution is a mainstream one. It seams to me that the stock rom knows its on a different device (not intelligently :rolleyes:), but some setting somewhere is conflicting with what it expects, i.e. IMEI, serial number, MAC...

But where? and what? That is Ye Olde Question. I'll have to get my shovel out and start digging :D

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hi Dezy,

Ye when I flash another rom onto the device theres no issue, but when I backup a stock rom from one device and try to restore it on the new one, I get this wifi error.

FDR? Factory reset? Ive tried that as well just out of curiosity, but no joy! so it would seem to me that its a conflict somewhere, rather than a failure.

Ive seen a lot of internet cries for help related to this wifi disabled/greyed out problem, but as mine is a little more unique (i think) due to the fact Im trying to move stoke from one device to another I dont think the solution is a mainstream one. It seams to me that the stock rom knows its on a different device (not intelligently :rolleyes:), but some setting somewhere is conflicting with what it expects, i.e. IMEI, serial number, MAC...

But where? and what? That is Ye Olde Question. I'll have to get my shovel out and start digging :D
Pardon me but why exactly are you backing up an image from one device and restoring it onto another? Is it so you don't lose your passwords?

The IMEI is a numeric value which is used to confirm a device's identity. It could be compared to human DNA in that it is unique to the device. It is used to assure the device is authorized to have cellular service on a particular network. The reason it's created and used is because it is next to impossible for two devices to have the same number. It is therefore possible that the OS uses the IMEI as a sort of key created when the OS is installed, so that devices which aren't authorized to use the same stock OS cannot do so, essentially preventing software piracy.

I can't be sure that's the problem in this case

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hi Dezy,

It seems your TWRP backup may have had an error on it, did you do you md5 checksum afterwards? I think that was to verify if it saved correctly....but I think that may have also only applied to when downloading new ROMs....

The IMEI or serial or whatever else to help identify the device shouldn't conflict with the new one, but I definitely could be wrong.

OP
B

Brovashift

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
i9505
Pardon me but why exactly are you backing up an image from one device and restoring it onto another? Is it so you don't lose your passwords?

The IMEI is a numeric value which is used to confirm a device's identity. It could be compared to human DNA in that it is unique to the device. It is used to assure the device is authorized to have cellular service on a particular network. The reason it's created and used is because it is next to impossible for two devices to have the same number. It is therefore possible that the OS uses the IMEI as a sort of key created when the OS is installed, so that devices which aren't authorized to use the same stock OS cannot do so, essentially preventing software piracy.

I can't be sure that's the problem in this case

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hi, I am wanting to restore a system image to a new device due to the issue Ive had with the faulty camera as a result of overheating damage, and which the solution was a new motherboard (taken from a spares & repairs s4).
I want to do this partly because of passwords for several emails, my ebay, amazon, Bank, a lot of saves web pages with logins, online trading app, WhatsApps, and LINE chat app which is an absolute nightmare to recover a previous account... Nightmare! And trying to contact my friends in several countries if I had to create a new account doesn't bare thinking about.
Plus everything is customized exactly as I like it and I dont want to set everything again. So if I can restore the image, happy days! :)

OP
B

Brovashift

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
i9505
It seems your TWRP backup may have had an error on it, did you do you md5 checksum afterwards? I think that was to verify if it saved correctly....but I think that may have also only applied to when downloading new ROMs....

The IMEI or serial or whatever else to help identify the device shouldn't conflict with the new one, but I definitely could be wrong.

I dont think I did do md5 check to speed it up a bit. I'll try it again later.