WIFI Finder

LordKastle

Reaction score
Just looking around and trying to figure our if a wifi finder app is necessary to download. Does anybody see any benefits or negatives to using one...or any suggestions.

OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
Are any of the WIFI apps worth downloading though? Yeah they help display open WIFI connections but the Droid does that automatically anyway. I am trying to figure out if it shows more connections or more worthy ones.

Last edited:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Are any of the WIFI apps worth downloading though? Like yeah they help display open WIFI connections but does that Droid do that automatically anyway? I am trying to figure out if it shows more connections or more worthy ones.

thats all good but a wifi finder like wefi will use your GPS and give you a map or open wifi networks near you that you can use... typically most of the locations will be places like libraries, hospitals, starbucks, atlanta bread company, mcdonalds... and so on

that way your not having to constantly open up network connections and hope your in range of a open wifi network.

OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
Interesting. I downloaded WEFI and it does the basic search just like in the settings of the Droid, but I do not see anything in the app that shows where various hotspots would be on a map... like starbucks, barnes and noble, etc...am I missing something here?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Interesting. I downloaded WEFI and it does the basic search just like in the settings of the Droid, but I do not see anything in the app that shows where various hotspots would be on a map... like starbucks, barnes and noble, etc...am I missing something here?

maybe i was incorrect but i was told by a friend that uses it says it shows him the closest hot-spot... maybe i misunderstood him

chomorro

Reaction score
So whats the verdict? Im looking for a good wifi app as well. I tried WiFi Widget Bar but it doesnt let me know wifi is in the area. I am looking for one that will notify me when wifi is near, if that is even possible lol. Might not be

CharlieJ

Reaction score
I'm using WiFi Analyzer. You can set it to show APs at least 3 different ways -- including showing the best one in range of your phone. I haven't tried others, but I like WiFi Analyzer enough that I don't think there's any need.

OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
I have found success using these 2 apps for WiFi...
WeFi Connect - For finding connections immediately surrounding you.
Wi-Fi Finder - For finding locations around you using your GPS or manually inserted information where you can find WiFi. (Stores, Restauraunts, Schools, etc.)