Wifi Error on CM7 build 11/25/11

r3j2

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I haven't used wifi on my phone in quite some time, but I decided to try it out after I updated to the newest CM7 build. I flashed it over the previous build, wiped the cache, and rebooted. When I booted, I ran the fixdataswitch script just like Jackpot's instructions say, rebooted, and now I'm stuck. When I try to enable wifi, it stays at "Turning On..." for about 20 seconds and then just says "Error". 3g works just fine. I've tried fixing permissions, and wiping my cache and dalvik cache, but still no dice.

Does anyone have any advice about what to do from here? Is there another file I need to wipe? I don't use wifi on a daily basis, or even a monthly basis. The last time I used it regularly, I was on rooted stock, so I have no idea when I could have messed something up.

Anyway, I could use some help here. I need wifi when I travel, and I'm about to hit the road in 2 weeks or so.

Thanks!

mcdougz

Reaction score
Same problem

I have the same problem with my droid pro. It is a bit of an issue for me, since I use wifi frequently. Any solutions?

araytb

Reaction score
i had the same problem. restart the phone (not by a battery pull) when you see "turning on." I love the ROM but I'm thinking of switching to Apex cause there have been too many issues (most fixable with workarounds) regarding everything radio related.

OP
R

r3j2

Reaction score
Yup, if you check the CM7 thread, you'll see that there must have been some sort of bug that was carried over when people upgraded, perhaps some kind of setting or application that they restored with titanium or something. Some people had success with a complete wipe and clean install, but I'm on Apex for the same reason. Just hoping CM9 has worked out the radio kinks.

mcdougz

Reaction score
I just booted to recovery and wiped the cache, and now 3G and wifi work fine... we'll see what happens in another day or two, but for now it works c:

wykjacky

Reaction score
I turned all these on and then reboot. All my wifi and 3g connection switching works quite well so far.

I am not sure if this really contributes to the wifi problem. U may give it a try before wiping everything again.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

enlight22

Reaction score
the problems the cm7 rom is having switching automatically between wifi and 3g is the only thing keeping me from loving this rom, its so smooth and slick and so much faster and better on battery than the stock gingerbread..... but at least the stock roms dont require me to reboot to get my internet back whenever i go in or out of wifi range... Im hopefull the ICS rom will finally be the perfect rom for this phone.. i love this phone hardware so much but the software just ruins it..

mcdougz

Reaction score
Workaround

I figured it out, or at least something. This is the order I do it in, but I think there is a better one. I keep forgetting to try it.

1. Disable 3G
2. Enable Airplane Mode (depending on the sucess of this, you might need to reboot)
3. Enable WiFi
4. Disable Airplane Mode.

I love CM7, it is awesome. The only two things are the internet and tethering, and that it takes forever to boot! I haven't troubleshot why yet, but the original booted in like 5 seconds. It was niiicee.

jago25_98

Reaction score
I'm on Apex with a slightly different problem - WiFi connects but then disconnects and then gets disabled. Trying Airplane mode was a good idea but wasn't done it for me...

Just to let you know if you're thinking of switching to Apex.

Also try changing WiFi sleep policy to 'never' for these problems

((using WPA and the auth is failing... not easy to change settings on the router... works for other phones))

Last edited: