WiFi connects, but no internet

kman510

Reaction score
I've been learning about my Dinc2 for a few days now. Outside of the beautiful battery-eating screen, I have only one major issue. When I turn on the WiFi (links wrtg2) and give it the passkey, it authenticated fine. The phone has a local IP address. I can reliably ping it from another computer. However, the browser and all messaging is unable to connect to the internet. Has anyone else has this problem, or is this just my network settings?

Thanks,

Aaron

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

evan2001

Reaction score
I use WiFi at work and home with no problems.

OP
K

kman510

Reaction score
I'm in the office today, and connected to our secured WiFi. Connected fine, authenticated fine, and everything on my phone works. The problem must be my network at home.

So, my home network consists of a time warner cable modem, Dynex 4-PORT Router, 1gb 24-port network switch, and two linksys wrtg54 access points. The wrtg's are set up as pass-through access points. They individually handle wireless authentication (using wpa2), and the Dynex handles IP addresses and network traffic. Are there any ports I should open on the router? Any settings I should look at? Does anyone else have a similar setup?

Thanks,

Aaron

Harry Weston

Reaction score
UK south coast half mile from sea near Brighton
Connecting to Internet via Homehub

I have a Motorola Milestone 2 (MM2), which I use mainly for Internet access and apps that need it. At home my PC and laptop connect to the Internet via a BT Homehub router, so, to save my mobile phone bill, I joined BTOpenzone (free) which sets up the Homehub as a Wifi hotspot. I'd set up a profile on the MM2 to automatically log in to the wifi connection whenever I am at home. All ok until an email from BT told me I was using excessive minutes, and discovered via their free help service that they count all the time I am logged in. I was also told I could connect direct to my hub and use the spare gigabytes from my landline allowance, by-passing BTOpenzone -- with no minutes counted.

Here's the point. I too could not login to the internet this way until I discovered that I had to enter my WEP security code when I was asked for a password. Now everything is up and running.

So now, for internet connection: at home I automatically login to my landline connection via the home hub; outside and in range of a hotspot I use BTopenzone, Both of those are essentially free as they are covered by my landline broadband rental. Outside these I can use the mobile phone network.

The worst part is the time it has taken to find all this out, so I hope this helps anyone else in the same boat. I also hope this is the correct thread.

Yippee :icon_ banana:It all works -- still can hardly believe it! Harry

Last edited:
OP
K

kman510

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, my router has decided to start dropping out consistently. It will last for 5-30 minutes after a power cycle, then it dies. I think it's on its way out to the electronics trash heap in the sky. I've purchased a new gigabit router to replace it. We'll see how it goes...hopefully that was my problem.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
I didn't mean to sound like a smartass but I work at an IT helpdesk and I am programmed to start simple. Cant tell you how many insanely complicated setups/situations have been fixed with a reboot.... Lol

Reaction score
Can the Dinc2 be setup to automatically use wifi when you're at home and not use 3G? Or do you have to manually select wifi when ever you want to use a wifi connection.

anguish

Reaction score
Yeah, JuiceDefender is your best bet in that case. I use it right now for that reason. Otherwise, I don't have a whole lot of use for it since this thing gets such great battery life the way I have set up (even before I installed JuiceDefender).

Harry Weston

Reaction score
UK south coast half mile from sea near Brighton
Hello again

Of course I did every combination of switch off, switch on, re-boot, re-load etc that I could think of. And I searched the net for a solution. Even went to the extreme of reading the manual (if all else fails RTFM). No go anywhere.

I must explain for non-UK members, that BT (British Telecom) supply a broadband service that is one of the best for performance, and has the enormous advantage of free (yes FREE) help lines, and I have spent hours on them -- always got good advice and cured the problem.

It was on the last of these calls that the adviser said that I have to enter my WEP security code when asked. but I wasn't ask for that, only for my password. Tried them all. Forgive an old man for being slow, but eventually it clicked and I entered my WEP code instead -- success.:i-m_so_happy:

I left this all out of my first post to save it being too long-winded, haven't succeeded this time.