no internet over wifi

Gary Stockdale

Reaction score
Wow, this has been happening to me a lot and it's really annoying. There seems to be a weird problem with connecting to WiFi. In a spot where my daughter's iPhone is getting reception just fine, I get gray 4G LTE, and somehow the WiFi seems not to access the internet. As another person said, I have no problem at my home WiFi, but it is spotty to bad elsewhere. Sometimes it works to turn off WiFi, but even then, sometimes the 4G will not turn blue, sometimes it will after I turn on and off the phone.

Other things: I was at a hotel in as Vegas with paid WiFi. Repeatedly, I lost not only connectivity on the internet, but I lost the ability to make calls or even text. I talked to Tech Support on my wife's iPhone (no problem with that), did a couple of manual hard resets (yuck) and the phone would work for a call or two, or a text, and then stopped working again. Once I left the hotel, no problem.

Neither Droid tech support nor Verizon would admit to having gotten these complaints from anyone else, and even sent me a message saying my problem had "been resolved," when that was not the case.

Funny, I just noticed the same thing sitting at the airport's open wifi. Wifi and 4G turn gray and won't connect data. Turn off wifi, and 4G turns blue and good to go. Must be a Verizon glitch as I never had this happen before.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Wow, this has been happening to me a lot and it's really annoying. There seems to be a weird problem with connecting to WiFi. In a spot where my daughter's iPhone is getting reception just fine, I get gray 4G LTE, and somehow the WiFi seems not to access the internet. As another person said, I have no problem at my home WiFi, but it is spotty to bad elsewhere. Sometimes it works to turn off WiFi, but even then, sometimes the 4G will not turn blue, sometimes it will after I turn on and off the phone.

Other things: I was at a hotel in as Vegas with paid WiFi. Repeatedly, I lost not only connectivity on the internet, but I lost the ability to make calls or even text. I talked to Tech Support on my wife's iPhone (no problem with that), did a couple of manual hard resets (yuck) and the phone would work for a call or two, or a text, and then stopped working again. Once I left the hotel, no problem.

Neither Droid tech support nor Verizon would admit to having gotten these complaints from anyone else, and even sent me a message saying my problem had "been resolved," when that was not the case.

Try disabling mobile data while on wifi.

johnanthonyhurst

Reaction score
Connection problem

If you can connect in your home's wifi just fine and in other places not, while other phones would connect, the problem is in your phone. most probably with your phone's reception. In your home, there is no problem because the signal is good, but in other places there is because the wifi host is maybe far from you. It can also be due to the fact that the wifi you are connecting into is not recognized by your phone, try to create a network connection with these wifi connections to be recognized by your comouter, to do this, check this link for a guide and steps Internet mobile connection problem android | Techyv.com

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If you can connect in your home's wifi just fine and in other places not, while other phones would connect, the problem is in your phone. most probably with your phone's reception. In your home, there is no problem because the signal is good, but in other places there is because the wifi host is maybe far from you. It can also be due to the fact that the wifi you are connecting into is not recognized by your phone, try to create a network connection with these wifi connections to be recognized by your comouter, to do this, check this link for a guide and steps Internet mobile connection problem android | Techyv.com

I wish to offer several "other" possibilities for solutions, which point not to the phone but to older routers, old firmware and to different WIFI protocols as the culpret.

Many of the WIFI connectivity problems seen on our forums and elsewhere can be traced back to older routers with outdated firmware. Just like our computers and even our phones, routers also often require updates to their firmware to address known problems that affect connectivity, stability and speed, as well as quality of data transfers, and to better follow newer protocols. Some examples of this have proven the solution for users whose older phones would connect successfully to their trusty old router but the newer phones had problems.

It's easy to blame the new guy (i.e. new phone), on the block, after all, "things were fine until he showed up!" Well, in fact it's often the new guy, following the newer standards of particular protocols, or more closely following older standards that quickly reveals the shortcomings of the older equipment which either didn't follow protocol properly to begin with, or doesn't know how to manage communications with the newer, more versatile equipment.

Also as mentioned above, it can be the authentication for one or another security protocol. Furthermore, as also mentioned it can work with the protocol on one router but have a problem with another version of even the same router.

Many manufacturers take shortcuts to reduce manufacturing costs and increase profits. One way to cut costs is to use open source code for all or part of their device's firmware, thereby eliminating any licensing costs or cost of development to have programmers write it for them. This often times results in fragmented code that doesn't work well with equipment running with more strictly written licensed code, ending in some equipment working fine while others fail. Major manufacturers such as Motorola for instance, will avoid using fragmented open source code "snippets", instead coding to adhere to the strict guidelines of licensed protocols and standards. This means their equipment may be less accepting of the sloppy coding of the older routers.

To be sure your older router is giving the new guy a fair chance, visit your router manufacturer's website and check for updated firmware. Better than 70% of the time when I troubleshoot a connectivity issue with routers, I find that the firmware is outdated, and often by several generations of updates since they are usually still running the off-the-shelf firmware. Unfortunately at times that isn't enough to resolve the problem.

Sometimes in an attempt to be compatible with current and upcoming protocols, manufacturers will rush their product to market with a mish mash of code thrown together to work with the new protocol, even if it doesn't work well or follow the guidelines closely. This is most common with off-brand equipment manufactured in places like China. This will result in a newer device such as our phones trying to connect to the routers with poorly written code for the new protocol, when the same phone and router may talk quite nicely with an older protocol also on the same router.

In one recent example of this a member whose phone kept dropping connection to her B/G router decided to see what would happen if she set the router to B Only. Sure enough, the phone connected perfectly and all the connectivity problems went away.

Lastly, sometimes the compatibility issues are too great for the old and new equipment to play nicely and it's time to put the "old gray mare" out to pasture. Wireless routers manufactured today are faster, more reliable, and compatible with both old protocols and the new protocols of today that routers just a few years old may completely fail with. They also have better radios, better antennas, and more features for support of things like streaming of audio and video, and even connections to things like NAS and USB drives. The good thing is the cost of the newer routers is also less than what you likely paid for the one you have now.

In many cases doing nothing other than replacing an old router with a new one fixes all the problems being experienced. So before you give up on the phone and conclude that the new guy is the root of the problem, step back a moment and ask yourself if the router is up to date with firmware, is running the newer protocols properly, or if it may be time to bring all the equipment on the data path up to the same level of technology as your brand new, cutting edge phone.

FoxKat

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

Last edited:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Thanks for the reminder Foxkat. I try to keep up with the firmware but when I read your post I realized that it's been a few months since I checked for an update. When I checked, sure enough there was one waiting.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

doboshine

Reaction score
I need help with this issue as well. I have a Westell 7500 modem/router at my business and my driod connects perfectly on the Primary wireless access, but it will not connect through the secondary SSID which has no security for guest access. In fact, Kindles and Droids are the only things that CAN'T conncect through the secondary SSID. Laptops, ipods, ipads, etc, conncet with no problem. It is only droids and kindles. I thought this might be a single router issue, but I tried it at home as well and it does the same thing. Connects through primary and nothing through the secondary SSID. I cant get ANY droid to connect. I have tried adding security to the secondary SSID and nothing seems to work. The devices get an IP address and I can see them through the router, but there is no interent connection. I also cant get to the router setting from the Droid connected through the Secondary SSID. I can do with and apple.

patronanejo

Reaction score
Not widely applicable

I wish to offer several "other" possibilities for solutions, which point not to the phone but to older routers, old firmware and to different WIFI protocols as the culpret [sic]....

...In many cases doing nothing other than replacing an old router with a new one fixes all the problems being experienced. So before you give up on the phone and conclude that the new guy is the root of the problem, step back a moment and ask yourself if the router is up to date with firmware, is running the newer protocols properly, or if it may be time to bring all the equipment on the data path up to the same level of technology as your brand new, cutting edge phone.

While this suggestion is as sensible as it is lengthy, it is of no help whatsoever with public wi-fi connectivity issues.

Gary Stockdale

Reaction score
Yes, this was some kind of anomaly with the hotel's WiFi where we were staying. It's never happened again.

doboshine

Reaction score
Had the same problem. I am no expert, but it seemed to be the router for me. I had a westell at my business and no droid based OS could connect through the guest portal. They could get an IP address and I could see that they were conected, but no internet. I could connect a droid through WPA just fine. I switched to a Cisco router and it works fine.

D

cutiedroid

Reaction score
patronanejo said:
While this suggestion is as sensible as it is lengthy, it is of no help whatsoever with public wi-fi connectivity issues.

Well, it's especially applicable to public wi-fi because there's no telling when a public spot has been has been upgraded to keep up with the newer phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums