WiFi and MMS

dieselpowered

Reaction score
So I have a Smart Action setup to turn off cellular data when connected to WiFi, what I found to be very odd is the phone will not download MMS messages, you have to be on cellular data.

Why in the world would this be the case?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So I have a Smart Action setup to turn off cellular data when connected to WiFi, what I found to be very odd is the phone will not download MMS messages, you have to be on cellular data.

Why in the world would this be the case?

Not to sound crass, but it is pretty much self-explanatory. Cellular Data IS SMS & MMS. Cellular Audio is the other side. Since SMS & MMS can be carried over the Cellular Voice carrier, you don't need 3G or 4G to have SMS or MMS. Of course, without 3G or 4G you can't surf the web.

DocsDad

Reaction score
Yeah I found that out too. When I am in a wifi only setting and get an MMS, I just toggle cell data "on" to download. Doesn't happen often for me though.

OP
D

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Thanks all, however, I just find this odd, while their may not be cellular data, there is data via the WiFi...I imagine it is an Android thing as this was never the case with my iPhone 4...unless I am missing something. :)

vatothe0

Reaction score
Thanks all, however, I just find this odd, while their may not be cellular data, there is data via the WiFi...I imagine it is an Android thing as this was never the case with my iPhone 4...unless I am missing something. :)

Yes, you are missing the reality of what is going on. If you are only connected to wifi, which has nothing to with your phone number, how would your device know to receive an mms? How would an outgoing message be transported?

OP
D

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Yes, you are missing the reality of what is going on. If you are only connected to wifi, which has nothing to with your phone number, how would your device know to receive an mms? How would an outgoing message be transported?

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm then using that logic, how can it send and receive SMS messages...not to mention how can it work on my iPhone?

vatothe0

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm then using that logic, how can it send and receive SMS messages...not to mention how can it work on my iPhone?

Even with cellular data disabled, you are still connected to the 1x network that sms are transported on as well as phone calls. Since you used smart actions to disable data, your Maxx cannot dynamically turn it on to send/recv mms. Since the iPhone is less customizable, it is automatically connecting to 3g and sending or receiving the MMS.

You might try changing the smart action to enable wifi when you get home instead of disabling cell data. If you are disconnected from wifi though, you may use a bunch of cell data on accident.

doggy2965

Reaction score
When I disable cellular I still receive messages but not attachments.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
D

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Thanks everyone...I took a moment to step back and think about it a little, now I feel stupid.

Nonetheless, I completely understand what is happening behind the scenes.

@ Doggy, that is because you are getting the text potion of the SMS via the 1X, however, you will notice that the attachments will have the option to download...which you can do once cellular data is turned back on :)

IhaveNoname

Reaction score
Nube can't browse or socialize on wifi

Not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes. Nube owner of a Razr Maxx and find that I cannot browse or social network when I'm in my various wifi locations. I can get basic pages, but no interactivity.