Texting a Picture??

Rangerhgm

Reaction score
I have a smart app that turns off cellular when my home wi-fi is detected.

So, cellular was off and I wanted to text a pic to someone and when I tried to send I got a box that said I couldn't send a pic because my data was turned off, and to allow data and try again.

I wasn't sure where to look,but I tried going to settings>mobile>mobile data on and tried to text the pic and it worked (lucky guess). So after I had sent the pic I set mobile data to off again.

Can you not text a pic over wi-fi? That sux if you can't send over wi-fi.

I try to use wi-fi whenever I'm close enough to connect to save my monthly data usage.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have a smart app that turns off cellular when my home wi-fi is detected.

So, cellular was off and I wanted to text a pic to someone and when I tried to send I got a box that said I couldn't send a pic because my data was turned off, and to allow data and try again.

I wasn't sure where to look,but I tried going to settings>mobile>mobile data on and tried to text the pic and it worked (lucky guess). So after I had sent the pic I set mobile data to off again.

Can you not text a pic over wi-fi? That sux if you can't send over wi-fi.

I try to use wi-fi whenever I'm close enough to connect to save my monthly data usage.

No, you can't text a picture from your mobile number over WiFi. Since sending a MMS message requires the use of your phone number and plan through Verizon, it has to be sent over the cellular network. SMS messages are sent over the voice network, but a picture contains data information, so it has to be sent over the data network.

The only way to send a text or picture message over WiFi would be to use something like Google Voice (or other free texting apps), but that will require you to use your Google Voice number (or other identification, depending on the app) instead of your Verizon number. So, if you want to send a SMS or MMS from your Verizon number, you'll have to have a cellular connection, and MMS messages will require mobile data.

Last edited: