Wifi and LTE?

silverfang77

Reaction score
I'm connected to wifi so why is LTE still on? I don't have the download accelerator enabled.

Thanks.

6805258e7e74b837d23c4b217e6d9c21.jpg

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

turbodave

Reaction score
I see the 4G icon but no arrows under it to indicate it's active. I do see the arrows under the WiFi symbol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
Isn't the 4G symbol supposed to fade?

turbodave

Reaction score
Mine is faded but still visible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
Mine didn't fade.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
On AOSP, the LTE signal goes away completely. I know on carrier firmware sometimes those icons remain.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
That's due to VoLTE (Voice over LTE).

In order for VoLTE to function, the LTE radio needs to remain connected to the network. It's no different than the CDMA needing to remain active to receive calls/texts for pre-VoLTE devices. When on WiFi, all of your data is still running over WiFi, so it's not using your data. Like turbodave said, the arrows under the 4G icon are not active, but the arrows under the WiFi symbol are. The LTE radio is just ready for calls. If LTE was turned off completely when on WiFi (like in the past), VoLTE couldn't work.

And it doesn't matter if you have VoLTE enabled or not. It's baked into the software. VoLTE still hasn't been activated for the Verizon Note 4, but the 4G icon still remains in the status bar when connected to WiFi since some of the software for it is already there.

Verizon could have the icon disappear when connected to WiFi to avoid confusion, but they haven't so far with devices that are VoLTE capable or will be VoLTE capable. I'm not sure why that is.

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
I didn't realize this was a Volte phone. When that's activated, all our phone calls will be over data instead of the old phone network, correct?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I didn't realize this was a Volte phone. When that's activated, all our phone calls will be over data instead of the old phone network, correct?

Here's a list of the all the phones on Verizon that are currently VoLTE enabled: Advanced Calling 1.0. The Note Edge is there.

After VoLTE is activated on your device (it's not active by default - you can find instructions on how to activate it here by clicking the red button labeled "Get Advanced Calling 1.0"), your phone calls will be routed over LTE when in a LTE area. HD Voice will work when calling another Verizon phone with VoLTE enabled (as will video calling if you want to use it, but that will eat at your data allowance). Making regular calls through VoLTE doesn't take away from your data.

Before enabling it, make sure to read up on the FAQs for Advanced Calling 1.0 to make sure it's something you want to use at this point. It's still early in the technology's life, so you're likely to encounter some hiccups along the way (like dropping calls when moving out of an LTE area - there's no direct handoff from LTE to CMDA).

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
Also, since Volte is over our data, won't that gobble up precious monthly allotted gigabytes?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Also, since Volte is over our data, won't that gobble up precious monthly allotted gigabytes?

No. Voice calls won't use your allotted data. Only using the video calls option will. I addressed that my post above. ;)

Here's a list of the all the phones on Verizon that are currently VoLTE enabled: Advanced Calling 1.0. The Note Edge is there.

After VoLTE is activated on your device (it's not active by default - you can find instructions on how to activate it here by clicking the red button labeled "Get Advanced Calling 1.0"), your phone calls will be routed over LTE when in a LTE area. HD Voice will work when calling another Verizon phone with VoLTE enabled (as will video calling if you want to use it, but that will eat at your data allowance). Making regular calls through VoLTE doesn't take away from your data.

Before enabling it, make sure to read up on the FAQs for Advanced Calling 1.0 to make sure it's something you want to use at this point. It's still early in the technology's life, so you're likely to encounter some hiccups along the way (like dropping calls when moving out of an LTE area - there's no direct handoff from LTE to CMDA).