wi-fi. vs 3g

BrianV

Reaction score
If im surfing on wi fi.... does that count on my data counter? Since im not on 3g? Since the unlimited might someday go away... . Is wifi the way to go when its is available?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Until data caps become a reality on Verizon, it makes no difference whatsoever whether you're using wifi or 3G. In most cases, wifi will be faster unless you're using using dialup or crappy dsl. When using wifi, data is transferred over wifi. When using 3G, data is transferred over 3G.

Last edited:

DanDroidX

Reaction score
Until data caps become a reality on Verizon, it makes no difference whatsoever whether you're using wifi or 3G. In most cases, wifi will be faster unless you're using using dialup or crappy dsl. When using wifi, data is using wifi. When using 3G, data is using 3G.

I don't know what you're talking about.

To answer the question, wifi does not count towards your data usage per your wireless carrier. Using wifi is the answer to the tiered data. Also, the tiered data usage probably won't come into effect until 4G is introduced. The Verizon CFO said that.

Sent from my Droid using an internal neurocellular processing unit

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Until data caps become a reality on Verizon, it makes no difference whatsoever whether you're using wifi or 3G. In most cases, wifi will be faster unless you're using using dialup or crappy dsl. When using wifi, data is using wifi. When using 3G, data is using 3G.

I don't know what you're talking about.

To answer the question, wifi does not count towards your data usage per your wireless carrier. Using wifi is the answer to the tiered data. Also, the tiered data usage probably won't come into effect until 4G is introduced. The Verizon CFO said that.

...? You repeated what I said, so how do you not know what I'm talking about?

DanDroidX

Reaction score

DanDroidX

Reaction score
JhankG, I give up dude. You really should have someone else read your statement and explain to you why it makes no sense and its wrong. Sorry dude.

Last edited:

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
you two did say the same thing but jhankg you did word a little different that if you read it real quick you would catch it

but since you wrote it you would know what you meant

Jokerz

Reaction score
JhankG, I give up dude. You really should have someone else read your statement and explain to you why it makes no sense and its wrong.

Yea I read it and didn't make any sense to me either and you didn't answer the question. He was wondering if you only get charged when you use 3G or when you use wifi as well when for when verizon gets rid of the unlimited data plan. I think thats what he meant lol.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
Until data caps become a reality on Verizon, it makes no difference whatsoever whether you're using wifi or 3G. In most cases, wifi will be faster unless you're using using dialup or crappy dsl. When using wifi, data is transferred over wifi. When using 3G, data is transferred over 3G.

he did answer the question but in a wierd way but like i said if you read it quick you wouldnt catch it

wsbsteven

Reaction score
I'll chime in as an impartial observer and comment.

JhankG didn't completely answer the question(s). The questions were, does wifi count against the 3G data counter and is wifi the way to go when it's available. JhankG answered the latter by saying wifi will be faster unless it's crappy dsl but not the former. DanDroidX answered the former when he said wifi doesn't count towards your data usage per your wireless carrier.

On the subject of JhankG's statement making no sense and is wrong is not completely true as one of the questions was answered and answered correctly. What is wrong is that JhankG claimed to have answered the question DanDroidX did which is incorrect. In his post he didn't mention that wifi wasn't metered using the 3G counter only that '3g is transferred over 3g and wifi is transferred over wifi'. While it may be implied by the poster, it wasn't fully explained in writing and would leave it open to interpretation.

Hopefully this helps clear up anything that was confusing between the two parties.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah JH's response was basically saying the users ? was pointless and half answered it with vague explanation. Not helpful at all really.

Seapup

Reaction score
I want my click back.
sFun_banghead.GIF