Wi-Fi or 3G?

jimfreeman

Reaction score
When both a Wi-Fi and 3G network are available, does the Droid default to one or the other? Is this function user-selectable, other than turning off Wi-Fi? How can the user tell which network is being used?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When both a Wi-Fi and 3G network are available, does the Droid default to one or the other? Is this function user-selectable, other than turning off Wi-Fi? How can the user tell which network is being used?

You should see a 3G symbol when not using wifi. Wifi will give you a "beacon" symble. If you have your phone set for wifi and leave the area it will default back to 3G. Wifi is user established.

zero7404

Reaction score
when wifi is on, that is the preferred connection. when you drop out of range from your wifi network, it switches to 3G. i just wish android had a solid connection for wpa2-aes encrypted networks....wifi is faster than 3G.....

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Wifi uses way more battery.

I have to disagree. I have WIFI always on and in never sleep mode. When at home I am on WIFI and when I get to work it switches again to WIFI. I am only on 3G when in other places. Running this way uses less battery than without WIFI, and the speed is much faster.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
Wifi uses way more battery.

This is correct, there is just a little more to it than that. I've been watching bits and pieces of this video (Google I/O - Coding for Life -- Battery Life, That Is) on Google IO (very informative!). You can also download a PDF of the presentation from there. This is taken straight from Jeff Sharkey's slides:

What costs the most?
Bulk data transfer such as a 6MB song:
  • EDGE (90kbps): 300mA * 9.1 min = 45 mAh
  • 3G (300kbps): 210mA * 2.7 min = 9.5 mAh
  • WiFi (1Mbps): 330mA * 48 sec = 4.4 mAh

So it really depends on what you are doing. For massive data transfer, your'e actually better off with WiFi. Even though it consumes more amperage to run, it won't operate as long to transfer the same amount of data, thus saving battery life.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Interesting figures. I would also add that it depends on the strength of the signal, be it wifi or 3g. In my situation I have good wifi and 3g home and work. My download speed is around 6-7Mbps home and work on the droid, and 3G is about 1.5 to 1.7 Mbps. Therefore according to your numbers, for me wifi is even more of a battery savings.

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Reaction score
I would also add that it depends on the strength of the signal, be it wifi or 3g.

Great point. Cellphone wireless radios in general will ramp up their power output in the presence of a weak signal, consuming more power (and exposing you to more RADs too).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Right now i'm having tower trouble so I'm using wifi at home. But I can see from my battery usage that when I'm in normal 3g situation that WiFi uses more power. YMMV

baruch

Reaction score
VOIP i.e., via Wi-Fi using SKYPE or gizmo5 (google)

has anyone been able to make VOIP calls utilizing the above?

bastosero

Reaction score

I haven't used those, but I was able to make a Skype call with another Skype user with wi-fi using the IM client Nimbuzz. The quality is not that good though, but it worked. If the person you're calling is using a mobile device, they need to be on wi-fi also to receive the call.

baruch

Reaction score
skype for droid

I haven't used those, but I was able to make a Skype call with another Skype user with wi-fi using the IM client Nimbuzz. The quality is not that good though, but it worked. If the person you're calling is using a mobile device, they need to be on wi-fi also to receive the call.
recent article in the nyt re: cellphones/PDAs using skype on an android phone; so find it odd that nothing in Droid's market on either skype of gizmo5. assumed that 1 of the droid's features would be to utilize these types of services?

bastosero

Reaction score

recent article in the nyt re: cellphones/PDAs using skype on an android phone; so find it odd that nothing in Droid's market on either skype of gizmo5. assumed that 1 of the droid's features would be to utilize these types of services?

Well, tehcnically they are third-party apps, so you either have to wait for a better app to come along or use what's currently available even though it's not as smooth as you want it to operate. Besides, the Droid is still pretty fairly new. I'd say just wait for it a little bit more.