Why? Why? Someone please tell me why.

zoli10

Reaction score
Why the hell do all these random apps start running when I have never and will never open them for any reason? Specifically the built in apps like VZ Navigator. I ha to add "Task Manager" to my home screen so I can monitor what's running and close them. I did add virtually every app to the "auto-end list", but I don't even know what that really does. It certainly doesn't permanently end apps at any point.

Someone please tell me what the hell is going on with this phone and how I can get apps to not randomly open and stay open....I cannot even believe I have to ask a question like this.

ice456789

Reaction score
VZ Navigator is awesome! Why would you ever want to close it? Your phone is just doing you a favor. /sarcasm

Same issue here. Bloatware strikes again.

gsDroid

Reaction score
I think you are a little too worried. If you notice in the Task Manager app, the apps are generally taking 0% cpu. Just because they are loaded in available memory doesn't mean they are literally running. If accessed, these apps can start quicker because they are already in memory, and when running will use the cpu. I just looked in Task Mgr and have 74Mb of apps in memory, all using 0% cpu. According to Titanium Backup, I have 3.58Gb free internal memory.

Check your settings for location services also. Automatic syncing, auto uploading pictures, things like Latitude, anything using background data or location services will cause certain apps to be in memory. I try to keep those to a minimum. Heck, even turn off your data if you have a strong wifi signal at home or wherever you are.

Scribble

Reaction score
For me, even knowing they aren't taking up an resources, they still piss me off from the standpoint of:

I didn't ask or the app in the first place, and don't plan on using it, the only reason it is there is because I can't uninstall it... So putting it into workable memory just reminds me of this fact and annoys me.

I don't get VZ's thinking on this... Are there really people who see these apps and think, oh well it's here and I can't get rid of it so I might as well use it even though there are better things to use?

yiannis

Reaction score
For me, even knowing they aren't taking up an resources, they still piss me off...

You can always setup a new application catalog and never see them again in your applications list. They don't take resources or slow the phone down. You can always clear any default that bothers you and tick your favorite application.

My apps catalog has 20 apps that I see in one page.