Why is bloatware running?

gportnoy

Reaction score
I am on an unrooted phone and have gotten used to the idea of having all sort of crapware loaded on the phone by Verizon, but why does it have to be running? Any time I run TaskManager I see at least a few apps running that I've never launched, like VZ Navigator, Verizon Location Agent, Blockbuster, CardDock, IM, etc. I kill them and they come back. Any ideas/suggestions (other than rooting)?

Snoking

Reaction score
How else can they drain your battery that fast. Chris

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stop using an app killer- that's what's causing any battery issues you may have. Android is very good about managing resources on its own. The pre-loaded apps run in the background and don't affect performance.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I am on an unrooted phone and have gotten used to the idea of having all sort of crapware loaded on the phone by Verizon, but why does it have to be running? Any time I run TaskManager I see at least a few apps running that I've never launched, like VZ Navigator, Verizon Location Agent, Blockbuster, CardDock, IM, etc. I kill them and they come back. Any ideas/suggestions (other than rooting)?

Stop using an app killer- that's what's causing any battery issues you may have. Android is very good about managing resources on its own. The pre-loaded apps run in the background and don't affect performance.

Not only is it good about managing resources, but in the case of those "bloatware" services you mention as "running", they are only in a "wait state" (often called Terminate Stay Ready or TSR), and using virtually no resources. To prove it, go into Battery Management and look at what is using the battery. You'll find they don't even show up unless you are using them and not realizing it.

A good example of what you may be using and not realizing it is Verizon Location Agent (VLA) which triangulates your position via Cell towers and assists the GPS and other location sensitive services and apps to get a more accurate fix on your location. Unless you NEVER use ANY apps that need location information, VLA will be both valuable and necessary. I believe it may also be used during Emergency Mode after dialing 911 to provide GPS information for the 911 Call Center and as such is required by law.