Why Root the bionic?

THier

Reaction score
YES I TRIED A SEARCH!!!

I'm not going to say I would have rooted my Droid with Saphire, over clocked it ect, and made it an even greater Droid then it would have been stock,, but what are the good reasons to root mt new Bionic?

Thanks,
Tom

ducky124

Reaction score
i would guess, if you have to ask then there are no reasons to do it. The vast majority of people that own own android phones have no idea about rooting their phone and are no worse for it. rooting is not this magical procedure that will make your phone run better or faster. Rooting will not give you better reception.
What rooting does for you is give you the ability to customize your phone to make it "your own". It gives you the ability to run certain apps the require root. So if you are happy with the way your stock phone is then the simple answer is "there is no reason to root your phone".

OP
T

THier

Reaction score
i would guess, if you have to ask then there are no reasons to do it. The vast majority of people that own own android phones have no idea about rooting their phone and are no worse for it. rooting is not this magical procedure that will make your phone run better or faster. Rooting will not give you better reception.
What rooting does for you is give you the ability to customize your phone to make it "your own". It gives you the ability to run certain apps the require root. So if you are happy with the way your stock phone is then the simple answer is "there is no reason to root your phone".

Cool,,, when I got my Droid, it was 2.1, no flash, and such a resource hog it ran ok,, after I went Sapphire, and ran a few tweaks, over clocked it, I was loving it even more. I had to replace it after the charge plug broke,, and VZ gave me a Droid2 Global, and I was pretty pleased with it and never rooted it. I have had the Bionic for two days,, and so far VERY pleased with it and the way it runs. I just haven't had a bunch of time to read up on it,, as I bought it on kind of a whim. I wanted it,, was "eligible" for an upgrade,, then found a great deal at Radio shack that I couldn't pass up. I was kind of curious if there were "major" reasons to root it like there were with the first Droid. I never rooted my wifes Droid, and it took the Froyo upgrade from VZ and she was content with it as she is a little "technically challenged"

Thanks,
Tom

TomSr

Reaction score
YES I TRIED A SEARCH!!!

I'm not going to say I would have rooted my Droid with Saphire, over clocked it ect, and made it an even greater Droid then it would have been stock,, but what are the good reasons to root mt new Bionic?

Thanks,
Tom

Titanium Backup, certain aspects of Tasker, LBE Privacy Guard, Cachemate for Root Users, Fast Reboot Pro and Adfree Android are apps that I use regularly which require root. Also, once a developer can figure out how to handle dual core phones for over/under clocking, it will require root access.

Tom

harajyuks

Reaction score
how about for the, albeit now simplified, challange... not so much with the Bionic anymore, but I thought it was just fun, being new to the whole thing, when I got my OGD I was 'swept up' in the excitment... waiting to see if my phone would re-boot, wondering if I properly typed the code, it was just a thrill-being I had NEVER done anything like this with a phone. Now I'm growing more confident and expanding the challenges I will undertake; installing ROM's, more customizations... in the end-- through the great efforts of the code breakers; modders; programmers--- I am able to get the EXACT product I was imagining when i bought my phone from my service provider.. MY phone.

- thats why you root

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No need to root just yet, but once the bootloader is unlocked you 'WILL' want to root so that you can install custom ROMs with custom kernels..... so in the mean time you can just prep yourself of the inner workings of how to root, what you can do once rooted, and how to recover should you soft brick your Bionic...

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
For me using a root app to freeze a lot of the bloatware has made my battery life increase like crazy.

Skrimpy

Reaction score
For me using a root app to freeze a lot of the bloatware has made my battery life increase like crazy.

I dont understand why the cariers dont let you freeze the apps anyway. I mean, come on. Really? Just make it an option in the OS to freeze any app the user wants. Not that I could but a good programmer can make a piece of software do anything capable in the hardware. Why not just provide the ability to the user? Its complete bologna if you ask me. You shouldnt have to root the phone to do it. That's just asenine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

buellboy9

Reaction score
You shouldn't HAVE to freeze the apps... the vendor should make that bloatware DELETE-ABLE, just like on a PC. Everytime I get a new PC, the first thing I do is delete all the CRAP the vendors pre-install. Can't do that with the phone under normal circumstances because they lock all that crap in as "System Software." Even the VCast software that you can download and install from the market. WTF??

And WHY do they install VZ Navigator (which you have to PAY for to use) when the Google Navigator is not only free, it's MORE ACCURATE!!:icon_evil:

xraymo3

Reaction score
Well.. if you have had your phone two days, and you are able to Root it, I'd love to hear about it. I have had mine two days, and every computer that I try, I get errors when I click on the root. Realllly want to get my TiBU back and alllll my apps and data.

harajyuks

Reaction score
do you have the proper MOTO drivers installed? Motorola_PreRelease_Mobile_Drivers_5.2.1_64bit <- 64bit b/c I am running Win& Ult 64-Bit

xraymo3

Reaction score
do you have the proper MOTO drivers installed? Motorola_PreRelease_Mobile_Drivers_5.2.1_64bit <- 64bit b/c I am running Win& Ult 64-Bit

None of the computers I have been on would install the 64. I have the 32 installed.