Why not the default messaging application?

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
I guess I kind of jumped into new applications checking out all the new ones when I first got my Droid and kind of assumed themeing my Droid was better. Right now I do not have much preference for theming my Droid. I have tried Handcent and Chomp SMS both which had force closes at inconvenient times.

Although this is something I am sure I could look up for myself, I'd like to know why you use one of these alternative SMS-MMS applications.

I really like the little green dot that the default messaging app provides to let me know my contacts only Google Talk status, and none of the other messaging alternatives provides that. Am I really getting that much extra out of Chomp SMS?

I guess I can only start using the original until I start finding features I miss:blackdroid:

meaker

Reaction score
I'm using the default. I was using Handcent but had a few issues so I went back to stock. While it's not as nice with no bubble conversation and can't change individuals text sound, it works flawless..

carbine

Reaction score

Diordna

Reaction score
Using Hancent and is awesome, no problems at all. Stock messaging is to boring for me, so dull it's annoying.

But I actually did use the stock for a little bit 2 weeks ago or so because of the Luna theme made it look a lot better.

Plus Hancent got an update not to long ago that made it a lot more customizable.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I was using Handcent for quite a while. I went back to using the "stock" app after I switched to CyanogenMod since it has the modified stock app included. It does it's job....

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I too was a Handcent fan, but it was a bit slow and annoying at times, so I am back to the stock app on NewEra 1.4.5 - Hacked stock with the extra features obviously!

gnmitchell

Reaction score
I have been using Handcent for awhile now without any problems. Really like the new update they put out recently that makes it much more customizable.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Although this is something I am sure I could look up for myself, I'd like to know why you use one of these alternative SMS-MMS applications.
Because I have to in order to send/receive SMS via Google Voice (without forwarding).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why do I use Handcent instead of stock? Because all the cool kids do and I wanna be like them.dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

OP
PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Because I have to in order to send/receive SMS via Google Voice (without forwarding).

I was not aware of this. I guess I will have to wait and wait it out for Google because I refuse to pay some guy I don't even know for an invite when that guy got the invite for free, and I won't sign up WITH any invites to sell back to other people. Anyway I'll stop whining about GVoice :D

Thanks for all the responses. It seems the majority of people the alternatives for the customize options. As carbine pointed out, one can put in a little bit of extra effort and customize the default app too.

I have little need for all the extras some of the alternative messaging apps provide, at least not for now. I need internal storage space.

I think I'll try using default for a while and see what I feel like I need added, then look for that.

TekHawk

Reaction score

I was not aware of this. I guess I will have to wait and wait it out for Google because I refuse to pay some guy I don't even know for an invite when that guy got the invite for free, and I won't sign up WITH any invites to sell back to other people. Anyway I'll stop whining about GVoice :D

Thanks for all the responses. It seems the majority of people the alternatives for the customize options. As carbine pointed out, one can put in a little bit of extra effort and customize the default app too.

I have little need for all the extras some of the alternative messaging apps provide, at least not for now. I need internal storage space.

I think I'll try using default for a while and see what I feel like I need added, then look for that.

if your tight on space go with cyanogen or another App2SD supporting rom the apps even on the stock sd card that came with the phone run fine just be smart about the ones you place on the sd card BW for example or any other widget provider should not be on the SD card LWPs shouldnt but most games and apps that you do not have running 50% of the time should be fine

Detonation

Reaction score
I use Handcent for the bubble chat view. So much easier to read than the stock list view. But thats about it.

RighteousAura

Reaction score
if your tight on space go with cyanogen or another App2SD supporting rom the apps even on the stock sd card that came with the phone run fine just be smart about the ones you place on the sd card BW for example or any other widget provider should not be on the SD card LWPs shouldnt but most games and apps that you do not have running 50% of the time should be fine

Going off topic here for a second.. but I was just wondering why widgets shouldn't be installed to the sd card? Also, Once running apps2sd is there a way to install apps normally onto the internal memory?

Now back on topic.. The default seems the best to me by far. I find the whole chat bubbles thing to be ugly.. Am I the only one who thinks this? I really prefer everything to have a uniform look and feel.. The default could really use some improvements and additional features though.

Last edited:

les017

Reaction score
I've used Handcent from November until just today. I never used the bubble setting, I'm not a heavy texter and I appreciate slimming down the apps...Handcent = 5MB, stock = 600KB