Why is there lag with Android phones, and not the iphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After rocking an iphone for over a year and half the lag was the first thing I noticed when switching to android.

Apple designs their hardware and software to be in complete harmony with one another and puts the user experience at the very top. Unless you have ever owned an ios device you really can't know how ios "feels"

An ios device does what you ask it too immediately and in a very fluent and natural way. An android device is more like "yeah i see you swiping your finger on the screen but your just going to have to wait a second because i'm busy updating this widget"

The result is that the user experience on android gets degraded in exchange for more background processing. The problem is 99% of people don't care what their device is doing in the background. They just want it to work.

umm..there's like 2 guys in this thread that clearly state there is zero lag...not sure what you're talking about, they are correct...

/sarcasm..

lol...there's many reasons for android lag, and its not a dealbreaker, the phones offer so much more that the minimal lag is easily ignorable. there's only one reason to be in denial about it though...

umm..there's like 2 guys in this thread that clearly state there is zero lag...not sure what you're talking about, they are correct...

/sarcasm..

lol...there's many reasons for android lag, and its not a dealbreaker, the phones offer so much more that the minimal lag is easily ignorable. there's only one reason to be in denial about it though...

What would that be? I love Apple products so it's not because I'm an Android Fan Boy. I don't see what I consider to be a lag on my stock D2. I'm not in denial of anything.

/sarcasm..

What would that be? I love Apple products so it's not because I'm an Android Fan Boy. I don't see what I consider to be a lag on my stock D2. I'm not in denial of anything.

Play angry birds on an iPhone and ur d2 then u will see slight lag so slight barely noticible

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

I think the lag issue is like this...

You have one PC that comes installed with the latest updated drivers for your NVidia card. So your PC flies through games and things like it should.

Then you have the Droid PC that comes with generic VESA drivers because they didn't know what video card you might have installed, so they just put the generic drivers in, so it works, but when you try to watch a movie full screen or play a game, it looks like a slide show...

Granted, the Android performance is not that bad, this is just an analogy to illustrate the difference of one machine with the proper drivers optimized for that GPU, and the other machine running generic drivers that are not.

I can definitely say that I don't have any lag either, but of course I'm overclocked.

I completely agree. Droid does nothing well. It's time for me to upgrade and none of the new phones are appealing. Until they fix the core features I am jumping ship......white iPhone here I come...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

/sarcasm..

as mentioned earlier its not some lag that makes the phones unusable and you want to throw against a wall. but how exactly do you propose that software that is not optimized for the hardware, and is available on tons of different hardware wouldn't cause lag?

It's not like I used a thunderbolt and couldn't do anything with it because of the immense lag, but there is lag especially if you compare it to the iphone. devs themselves will tell you this (just like devs will tell you fragmentation exists). the people denying for the most part are the ones who for some reason dont want to admit it.

i dont know why people who want to defend android at all costs (not talking about you hook), think that software thats not optimized for the hardware it runs on is not going to lag. it has nothing to do with being a fanboy or not being a fanboy, it has to do with how hardware/software interact. software engineering 101. there is going to be lag on android phones simply because of how android is built and how its distributed. that doesnt make android bad...it's just how electronics and software work.

also, i never implied that the lag is so bad that android is a crap OS. It's far from it. The fanboys get offended when anyone speaks against android though, and that's just bizarre.

the lag is slight, and maybe that's why you don't notice it hook, but compared to the iphone it is absolutely there and that's how it is for every android device i've played around with.

and like i said, i find it hard to believe that i'm the only one on the planet who has the bad luck of touching android devices that are lemons, while everyone else is out there getting these super fluid responsive devices that defy all engineering logic.

Nope I've compared it to my sister's iPhone 4 on several occasions. The zoom proportion is different but my phone is absolutely just as smooth. I'm not going to argue with you about something I've experienced first hand.

I think the lag issue is like this...

You have one PC that comes installed with the latest updated drivers for your NVidia card. So your PC flies through games and things like it should.

Then you have the Droid PC that comes with generic VESA drivers because they didn't know what video card you might have installed, so they just put the generic drivers in, so it works, but when you try to watch a movie full screen or play a game, it looks like a slide show...

Granted, the Android performance is not that bad, this is just an analogy to illustrate the difference of one machine with the proper drivers optimized for that GPU, and the other machine running generic drivers that are not.

Precisely. No one is arguing that Android is some lag filled crap filled OS thats barely usable. But the lag exists and that's simply because of the way android is distributed across several hardware configurations. You can't optimize android for all the different components and hardware that exists on these devices.

I understand that fragmentation exists and for the most part the software isn't completely optimized for any phones that run Android. I honestly just don't notice any lag compared to my sisters iPhone. The proportions and speed of scrolling is different so I don't even really know how there could be such an in depth comparison.

I think thats why it was mentioned that you probably just got used to seeing it. Trust me if there was an android device that was optimized for its hardware/software you'd notice the difference.

If there was no lag people wouldn't be overclocking, clearing cache, wiping dalvik and rebooting their phones every other day. Of course, people attribute that to "hacking my phonezz!" instead of what it really is and that's trying to improve performance...

I can definitely say that I don't have any lag either, but of course I'm overclocked.

You do, and overclocking doesn't get rid of it.

You just don't recognize it because you are used to it, that's all.

Wow what a weird way of telling someone their eyes don't work. So far we've got denial & too stupid to understand what we're talking about... How typical.

I'll just leave it to the devices I've owned & exclude the ones I've tinkered with for friends or in passing as it is a mixed bag where I don't know everything that is going on.

Stock non-rooted D1 = oh lawd yes.
Stock non-rooted Dinc = no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back