Why is there lag with Android phones, and not the iphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodean

Reaction score
Now I don't own an iphone, I own a droid. But what I tend to notice, is there is virtually no screen lag with the iphone, but on the android phones, there is always screen lag, no matter what the overclocking is. Any idea why?

b-jammin21

Reaction score
There is absolutely zero lag whatsoever on my Mom's DX. What phone do you have?

spoooon

Reaction score
Now I don't own an iphone, I own a droid. But what I tend to notice, is there is virtually no screen lag with the iphone, but on the android phones, there is always screen lag, no matter what the overclocking is. Any idea why?

I have a Droid 1. There is occasional lag, like sometimes it takes a little longer to open up text messaging, or what have you. On my phone, it's fairly infrequent. It might happen when an app is installing in the background or the gallery refreshes or something. For the most part, pretty lag free.

krandle41709

Reaction score
I have the TB an we have 4G and there's no lag... What phone do u have? 3G? 4G? There are lots of variables as well, and like signal strength, location etc.

from the thunderbolt

Reaction score

Its because apple has optimized the gpu in the iphone specifically for iOS. Google wasn't able to do it for android because there's like 100+ different android devices, with various gpu's. Nevertheless, they have stated that it is on their to do list for android.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
For one iPhone does less with their stock launcher (probably for this reason); it's a wall of apps.

Cmdates2991

Reaction score
Like others have said, it's simply because IOS is optimized solely for the iphone. While Android is designed for a multitude of devices. Some are just optimized more than others.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Like others have said, it's simply because IOS is optimized solely for the iphone. While Android is designed for a multitude of devices. Some are just optimized more than others.

this is exactly. The iOS is optomized for the iPhone where as android is just a bunch of different fragments thrown together in hopes it works. This is also why the FC is so common on all android phones and you rarely if ever get an error on an iphone.

and it doesnt matter what phone you have ALL android phones have lag even the Thunderbolt i have in my desk drawer.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
and it doesnt matter what phone you have ALL android phones have lag even the Thunderbolt i have in my desk drawer.

agreed. I've yet to pick up an android phone without lag. that's not to saying they're lag filled and unusable, but there is noticeable lag on all of them, including the thunderbolt. it's not a surprise though, because as mentioned, the software is not optimized for the hardware, so you can't really expect no issues...

UNC

Reaction score
Native coding vs emulated coding...

Android runs on Dalvik VM which is a Java VM. (That sun oracle created) Emulation will ALWAYS be slower than native coding.

OP
B

bodean

Reaction score
Native coding vs emulated coding...

Android runs on Dalvik VM which is a Java VM. (That sun oracle created) Emulation will ALWAYS be slower than native coding.

Im surprised google can do something to kill the lag in general on android phones.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
They drop calls, instead.
Much better.

Android is more powerful, we ask it to do much more and it tries.

Reaction score
I used to think there was a lag on my Droid X...then I saw a forum post once about how the Droid X "screams" with Launcher Pro and Spare Parts installed (animation settings on MAX) so I installed those two things (for free) from the Android Market.

My phone is faster now than any iOS device I've ever seen! You should try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.