Why is there lag with Android phones, and not the iphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@PC747

Tbolt, yay or nay? If you could chose any device... still same choice? Just curious. How bad on the battery... like bad... or epic failure?

{{ WugFresh }}

With an extended battery its vey useable all day. I enjoy the tbolt but must admit that I would not buy it on a 2 year because htc has a dual core and its only a matter of time before we see it on vzw.

@ those that say the tbolt lag: I have an ipod touch, had an iphone 3gs. I enjoy technology in all its glory. Now I will admit I froze a lot of bloatware and that could be a big part of my point. But My tbolt is as silky smooth as my apple products. I will call an ace an ace, but I am not seeing the lag or have yet saw any lag on it whatsoever. Yes there are android devices that lag, but unlike ios, android is on multiple platforms, multiple screen sizes, multiple processors, and becuase of that some apps work better on some device and f/c and lag on others, this is the downfall to android. Not all android devices are made the same unlike iphone which is why itunes apps works great no matter what phone you have.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
@PC747

Tbolt, yay or nay? If you could chose any device... still same choice? Just curious. How bad on the battery... like bad... or epic failure?

{{ WugFresh }}

With an extended battery its vey useable all day. I enjoy the tbolt but must admit that I would not buy it on a 2 year because htc has a dual core and its only a matter of time before we see it on vzw.

@ those that say the tbolt lag: I have an ipod touch, had an iphone 3gs. I enjoy technology in all its glory. Now I will admit I froze a lot of bloatware and that could be a big part of my point. But My tbolt is as silky smooth as my apple products. I will call an ace an ace, but I am not seeing the lag or have yet saw any lag on it whatsoever. Yes there are android devices that lag, but unlike ios, android is on multiple platforms, multiple screen sizes, multiple processors, and becuase of that some apps work better on some device and f/c and lag on others, this is the downfall to android. Not all android devices are made the same unlike iphone which is why itunes apps works great no matter what phone you have.

and that's exactly the point that was being made. How could you expect android to work exactly the same across hundreds of devices and hundreds of hardware configurations? People in this thread are acting like those who bring up the barely, slightly noticeable lag means that they are implying that android sucks and google should stop all development immediately or something.

it's just the nature of android. not every device is going to work the same, and every device will have some kind of issue whether it be force closes, lag, or anything else. It's not a slight to android, it's a common sense observation.

lfylove

Reaction score
I do none of those (on purpose) to my Dinc.

you know you might be the luckiest consumer on the planet? your android phones don't lag, your PCs don't require antivirus and you get twice the download speeds when you use the throttle mod. I can't argue with you, man. I have no reason to accuse you of lying, let's just say I'm skeptical. I don't think I've ever seen you once concede that anything could possibly be wrong with android haha...when a quick google search shows that plenty of people have complaints. Do you shop at a special store where they only stock 100% working, no chance of any issues, merchandise?

My tbolt do not lag either. And lets not treat apple like the made the greatest device in the world. There are chinks in the apple armor. I think apple makes the best hardware and because they have one design and one os going through them they can test and ensure their os works great with their product. But I also saw the ipad 2 show checkerboards when loading up a page over and over again. My tbolt with single core does not checkerboard, even my d1 do not checkerboard but a dual core ipad does. Look this do not take anything away from the ipad because in reality whi cares, just wait an extra second for the page to load up. I really do not see the point in the constant back and forth between apple and android. They both make great products. Sto trying to make one seem inferior to the other. Unless you are drawing a check from google or apple I do not see the need to be on any forum wasting time saying why one product is better than the other. There are things android does better than ios and vice versa. If you want an iphone get one and enjoy it, if you want android get it and enjoy it. Buy the device YOU want and enjoy it. If you looking over at the next device trying to find what it does not do to make you feel good about your purchase then you probably should not have bought the product in the first place because you will always find something that one device does better than the other. I can find something that a free flip phone does better than iphone and android. So lets move on.

+1

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to own a device to see that it lags? That's pretty awesome. You must return a lot of purchased goods at your house since viewing it at the store before purchase couldnt possibly tell the entire story...And I assume by "where I don't know everything that is going on" you mean "I haven't had a chance to root, overclock it and clear its cache so it'll perform correctly", right? Or did you mean something else? If so, I'd love to know what...

So far we've got "hardware/software interaction doesn't matter, my phone does not lag" and "you can't tell if a phone lags without owning it"...how t̶y̶p̶i̶c̶a̶l̶...bizarre.

...No I said I would leave *my* opinions to the devices I own. I don't care if you base your truths on limited interactions. Leave my household out of your generalizations as you should prefer I do the same.

You assumed wrong; no to not mod it at all. I meant walking into a store & playing with a set for 20 minutes that 2 dozen clowns have put half the market apps on doesn't tell me what it's like out of the box.

Who said hardware/software interactions don't matter?

So installing apps causes lag? Ok...that's not exactly selling your point. I can install 20 apps on the iphone and it's not going to suddenly have lag. The fact that you've conceded that that's possible on an android device says something...no?

Second, calm down. You act like I insulted your mother and your dog or something. I didn't speak about your household, so stop being so dramatic, and breathe. I'm having a discussion, no need to turn it into a yo momma competition.

Who said "too stupid to understand what we're talking about"? You can deduce and extrapolate but when someone else does it the dramatics come out?

....Yeah having a lot of background stuff like non stock apps & Widgets I wouldn't download matters relates to performance.

When you reference someone's personal life it is theirs to take offence.

Unsubscribed

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@PC747

{{ WugFresh }}

and that's exactly the point that was being made. How could you expect android to work exactly the same across hundreds of devices and hundreds of hardware configurations? People in this thread are acting like those who bring up the barely, slightly noticeable lag means that they are implying that android sucks and google should stop all development immediately or something.

it's just the nature of android. not every device is going to work the same, and every device will have some kind of issue whether it be force closes, lag, or anything else. It's not a slight to android, it's a common sense observation.

Its how you guys are presenting your argument. If I said "iphones checkerboard when loading up websites". There are iphone users who will agree and others who have yet to see a checkerboard. The difference may be what ios version they are on and what device. Iphone 4 users will probably not see it, and ipad users may only see it on data heavy sites when trying to load up on 3g, but only for a split second, where as iphone 3g and first generation iphone users may see checkeredboard issues constantly. Because android is on multiple platforms you can not always group them in the same category. Just as alienware or Asus may make windows run much better that hp or gateway, some products may do the same for android. With android we are getting to the point where you may have to distinguish which products lag or struggle in certain areas. Motorola have great battery life, well 2 years ago that statement was false but compared to the thunderbolt that statement is true. So as technology improves how a product operate will be dependent upon the oem taking full advantage of the os. Right now the consensus is that samsung has design devices that actually push the os to a point where google may need to play catch up. But because samsung has a bad rep for updating some of us may not get the chance to prove that statement true or false.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I am trying to hard to stay out of this but....

I have played with every android device available on verizon including the XOOM, both in store and through friends and they've all lagged. and to be clear (again), that doesn't mean they were unusable. But there is lag, especially if comparing it to the iphone. I'm not just saying stuff to say stuff...

This is simply not true. My Verizon sales rep lent me a Xoom. I have been using it for a week now. The only place I have seen any lag at all is typing INTO THIS FORUM.
That's it. There is ZERO screen lag in anything else. Everything loads quickly. Screens scroll quickly. The internet blazes. Unlocks in a hearbeat. I was just playing with it again and realized I still had Angry Birds running in the background. Couldn't tell because it DOESN'T LAG.
/Closes Angry Birds...

Compare this to the very first Droid? The D1? The D1 lags big time stock. no denying. Not just .5 seconds whoever said that. I hit HOME on my D1 and it can take 15 seconds to load the home screen sometimes. Seriously.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
@PC747

{{ WugFresh }}

I believe that the point is that you have to root, freeze apps and uninstall bloat and void your warranty to get it to the point that it can compare to an iPhone's lack of lag out of the box.

That's the point.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
....Yeah having a lot of background stuff like non stock apps & Widgets I wouldn't download matters relates to performance.

When you reference someone's personal life it is theirs to take offence.

Unsubscribed

Lighten up, Francis...

Nothing was said that would be offensive. If you decide to take it that way because you don't like how the "debate" is going, that's your decision and it isn't anyone else's fault.

b-jammin21

Reaction score

I have played with every android device available on verizon including the XOOM, both in store and through friends and they've all lagged. and to be clear (again), that doesn't mean they were unusable. But there is lag, especially if comparing it to the iphone. I'm not just saying stuff to say stuff...

This is simply not true. My Verizon sales rep lent me a Xoom. I have been using it for a week now. The only place I have seen any lag at all is typing INTO THIS FORUM.
That's it. There is ZERO screen lag in anything else. Everything loads quickly. Screens scroll quickly. The internet blazes. Unlocks in a hearbeat. I was just playing with it again and realized I still had Angry Birds running in the background. Couldn't tell because it DOESN'T LAG.
/Closes Angry Birds...

Compare this to the very first Droid? The D1? The D1 lags big time stock. no denying. Not just .5 seconds whoever said that. I hit HOME on my D1 and it can take 15 seconds to load the home screen sometimes. Seriously.

Thanks for the input. And some people in here would, without hesitation, say that you are in denial and that you are a liar. Ridiculous.

That brings me back to the point about defining lag. Lag's synonym is also delay. If you are experiencing NO delay on your XOOM, then that means you have no lag. Period.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

/Closes Angry Birds...

Isn't Honeycomb the first version of Android that is programmed to take advantage of dual-core and 3D acceleration of the GPU?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I personally like the discussion about android and ios. I appreciate both apple and android and what they both brough to the table. It is good to compare and look into what they can do. If you can not have a discussion with out bashing or using the phrase "your momma" then do not post. If you are here to call another product stupid or ready to fight over a product do not post. Post your point that is based on the topic and back it up.
Android and ios will be here for awhile and unless you are drawing a check I see no need to take any of this personal.
Also consider this my warning. No more "your momma" in any post.

Continue discussion.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I personally like the discussion about android and ios. I appreciate both apple and android and what they both brough to the table. It is good to compare and look into what they can do. If you can not have a discussion with out bashing or using the phrase "your momma" then do not post. If you are here to call another product stupid or ready to fight over a product do not post. Post your point that is based on the topic and back it up.
Android and ios will be here for awhile and unless you are drawing a check I see no need to take any of this personal.
Also consider this my warning. No more "your momma" in any post.

Continue discussion.

Noted. Can we also discuss without people getting offended because the word "household" was used in a post? You would think I attacked the guys character and slandered him in public. The context that the word was used was quite evident, and the reason for the over the top reaction to it was quite transparent.

And 100% agree that there is zero reason for anyone to be offended. Its a discussion about a smartphone os, not an attack on someones lifestyle...

Securing a brighter nba/nhl future via tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
In case you guys have not noticed I removed the last few posts we are starting from a clean slate no need to go back and forth and telling people to lighten up. The topic is the lag issue so lets get back on that.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
In case you guys have not noticed I removed the last few posts we are starting from a clean slate no need to go back and forth and telling people to lighten up. The topic is the lag issue so lets get back on that.

What lag issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.