Why Is the Battery Life So Short?

rkeller62

Reaction score
You might want to read up on Li ion batteries. They should not be fully drained.

While this statement is true, you can run the droid until it shuts down as Motorola shuts the phone down before a 'deep discharge' occurs.

That being said, all a full charge/discharge cycle 'conditions' with a Li-ion battery is the battery status meter, not the battery itself.

To the OP - this is my 3rd smartphone and, so far, it has the best battery life of any of them, which is pretty impressive considering it has the biggest best screen of the 3. If you check your battery status as previously suggested and your display is, by far, the biggest user then you probably will not get much more life than you are unless you decrease screen brightness.

OP
A

arkkkkkkk

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and advice guys. I really appreciate it.

I've downloaded the JuiceDefender app and made the brightness setting as low as possible. Turned off wifi and bluetooth. I still have the GPS and sync on though. On that account, what is sync anyway?

Anyways, I'll see how it goes.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I've downloaded the JuiceDefender app and made the brightness setting as low as possible. Turned off wifi and bluetooth. I still have the GPS and sync on though. On that account, what is sync anyway?

Sync is syncing your Droid to your Gmail and Calendar. You want to leave that on, remember it's a Google phone.

Darkseider

Reaction score

FYI, GPS is a HUGE battery hog.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
what is sync anyway?

Sync keeps your contacts, emails, calendar, etc up to date with your online google account.

These are all powerful features of the Android platform that you can utilize, making this a very powerful communication device.

rkeller62

Reaction score

I've downloaded the JuiceDefender app and made the brightness setting as low as pos

Only if you are running an app that is actively using GPS. If there is no GPS icon in the notification bar then it is idle and not drawing significant power from the battery.

ShowTime

Reaction score

I've downloaded the JuiceDefender app and made the brightness setting as low as pos
Only if you are running an app that is actively using GPS. If there is no GPS icon in the notification bar then it is idle and not drawing significant power from the battery.

+100000000000000000000000000 for this.
This gets beaten to death. GPS, unlike bluetooth and wifi which are constantly searching for signal/connected items, ONLY uses the battery when it is actively being used by an app. With the proper setup, it should only be on when you want/need it to be for an app. No satellite icon = no battery being used.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

I've downloaded the JuiceDefender app and made the brightness setting as low as possible.

Another app to get is Screebl, which takes in to account the position of the phone to determine if the display should be on or not. I also suggest getting some sort of battery indicator. I use Battery Left myself.

I got the extended battery. Before, the phone ran for about 20 hours with no WiFi, and little BT and GPS. Now after the first charge it's been on continuously for 31 hours and 43 minutes so far.