Extended Life Batteries

Embalmer

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum. I recently upgraded my phone from an Alias II to the Droid II. Very impressed with features but disappointed in battery life. I have adjusted power options but the battery life still goes quickly. Are the extended life batteries really worth it? Would an extended life battery fit the rubberized Body Glove case or would I have to purchase another case/clip? dancedroid

Thanks!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The extended battery increases battery life by 20%. Many people will suggest buying another battery, but I'm not one of them. If my phone dies, it dies til I care enough to charge it again.

superglen99

Reaction score
I got the Droid 2 extended battery and iTOTALLY worth it. Noticeable difference. Was sick of charging my phone in the middle of the day. Now it lasts all day and then some! get one. Can't help with the case as I never use one but it adds an ever so slight hump in the battery door so it might still fit

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't overlook existing discussions in the Accessories subforum.

I have adjusted power options but the battery life still goes quickly.
As always with battery life concerns, analyze your usage and address your battery hogs. Don't count on easy fixes.

OP
E

Embalmer

Reaction score
Battery Life

Thanks for the responses. I have analyzed my usage, deleted apps and keep the screen brightness on low which makes it hard to see when I am outdoors. I am basically just making calls and making appointments to my calendar. What is the purpose of having a "Smart Phone" when you are afraid to use it in fear of draining the battery. I am going to check out the accessories subforum. Great suggestion.

Reaction score
just get the extended battery...seems kind of obvious?

I'd like to know where the first guy that answered got that 20% figure...throwing random numbers around as absolutes doesnt mean its true.

I have a droid 2 extended battery on my original droid and dont know how i lived without it. I dont have to worry about apps or brightness settings and get through a day or 2 with literally no worry at all..if I had to give it a number it would be 100% increase. i never made it through the day before without not using the phone for more than an hour or 2..now I can stream nfl mobile on sundays for 3 hours and only drop down 20-30%..

Last edited:

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'd like to know where the first guy that answered got that 20% figure...throwing random numbers around as absolutes doesnt mean its true.

I have a droid 2 extended battery on my original droid and dont know how i lived without it. I dont have to worry about apps or brightness settings and get through a day or 2 with literally no worry at all..if I had to give it a number it would be 100% increase. i never made it through the day before without not using the phone for more than an hour or 2..now I can stream nfl mobile on sundays for 3 hours and only drop down 20-30%..

It's simple math actually. The standard battery is 1300 mAh and the extended is 1860 mAh. If you divide 1300 by 1860, you get about 69%. Therefore, the difference between them is about 30%. My initial 20% was wrong, but you catch my drift.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

MusicalHuman

Reaction score
Solving Battery Issues

To solve your battery issues, simply learn to work around them. Smartphones can do a lot more than the Nokia you were packing just years ago. But this additional functionality requires more power to operate. The problem is that the current battery technology used in most digital devices (LiPo) hasn't quite caught up to the energy demands of the devices themselves. Fortunately, batteries are cheap (I have 3 for my droid that I got for less than $8 each on Amazon), and chargers are becoming standardized (micro USB/USB). Buy a car charger for use with navigation, and a spare USB to micro USB cable for use at work in your computer (got mine for less than $1 on Amazon).

"It's simple math actually."

Apparently, it's not that simple. The minimum mAh rating for the original droid is 1390 (typical mAh is 1420). If the extended battery has an mAh rating of 1860 mAh (470 mAh more than the original battery) then in order to calculate the projected percent increase in battery life over the original battery, you take the difference in mAh between the two batteries and divide it by the original battery's mAh rating. Therefore, 470 mAh / 1390 mAh = 33% (your 2nd post was correct). However, using your figures (where the original droid battery has an mAh of 1300), the percent increase comes out to about 43% (1860 mAh - 1300 mAh = 560 mAh / 1300 mAh = 43%). Just sayin' . . .

want a droid

Reaction score
Anyone that has a D2 and the extended battery will definitely recommend it to you. I as well recommend it. In order to have a smart phone and be able to use it the way it was meant to be used you need the extended battery.

I'm able to get through the day just fine with my extended battery. I leave my brightness on the highest setting too (full).

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
"It's simple math actually."

Apparently, it's not that simple. The minimum mAh rating for the original droid is 1390 (typical mAh is 1420). If the extended battery has an mAh rating of 1860 mAh (470 mAh more than the original battery) then in order to calculate the projected percent increase in battery life over the original battery, you take the difference in mAh between the two batteries and divide it by the original battery's mAh rating. Therefore, 470 mAh / 1390 mAh = 33% (your 2nd post was correct). However, using your figures (where the original droid battery has an mAh of 1300), the percent increase comes out to about 43% (1860 mAh - 1300 mAh = 560 mAh / 1300 mAh = 43%). Just sayin' . . .

Actually, I stand by my original post. The D2 battery, which is the battery the OP is referring to, is a 1300 mAh battery. The D2 extended battery is 1860 mAh.

Therefore, you divide 1300 by 1860, which comes to .70 or 70%. The remainder of the 100% is what the extended battery has to offer, 30% more.

That said, the extended battery will increase your battery life by 30%, up 10% from what I originally posted.

Last edited:

Blabomb

Reaction score
I would definitely recommend it. I just got mine and I honestly don't how how I lived without it. Prior to having the extended battery I had to have my brightness all the way down to last through the day. Now I keep it all the way up and at the end of the day I still got battery to spare :) Totally worth my $30

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Extended battery is a total must

Combine that with rooting, ultimate juice and setcpu (among with bloatware removal and various things) and i have gone from needing to charge before going home from work to having 16+ hours of bare minimum and 6-7 hours of continuous heavy use.

Now if only i could load a custom ulv kernel! Damn locked bootloader!!!

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

harry fisher

Reaction score
Same problem with my DROID. Not unusual for a dead battery at the end of the day with not that much use. Just received in the mail, a 3500 HD Battery from Gorilla.com $25.00 including a new back cover. I'll report back on the performance. The phone is now thicker by at least 1/8".....your BodyGlove probably won't fit but the phone is now much easier to grip and if I can get two or more days out of a charge, it will be worth it.

MusicalHuman

Reaction score
Your Math is All Wrong . . .

"Actually, I stand by my original post. The D2 battery, which is the battery the OP is referring to, is a 1300 mAh battery. The D2 extended battery is 1860 mAh .

Therefore, you divide 1300 by 1860, which comes to .70 or 70%. The remainder of the 100% is what the extended battery has to offer, 30% more."

Sorry, your math is all wrong. Think about it this way:
According to your numbers, the extended battery has 560 MORE mAh than the original (it offers 560 more mAh than the original). In order to determine a percent increase FROM THE ORIGINAL, you have to divide that increase BY THE ORIGINAL. 560/1300=0.4307 x 100= 43.07% MORE mAh than the original.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
"Actually, I stand by my original post. The D2 battery, which is the battery the OP is referring to, is a 1300 mAh battery. The D2 extended battery is 1860 mAh .

Therefore, you divide 1300 by 1860, which comes to .70 or 70%. The remainder of the 100% is what the extended battery has to offer, 30% more."

Sorry, your math is all wrong. Think about it this way:
According to your numbers, the extended battery has 560 MORE mAh than the original (it offers 560 more mAh than the original). In order to determine a percent increase FROM THE ORIGINAL, you have to divide that increase BY THE ORIGINAL. 560/1300=0.4307 x 100= 43.07% MORE mAh than the original.

Just curious as to where you are getting your numbers from.
Both the og droid and the droid 2/global use the bp6x battery, which has a capacity of 1390 min, 1420 typical.

The bp7x has a capacity of 1820 min/1860 typical. I must be unlucky because both my stock and extended battery are rated for the minimum :/ but i digress! Simple math tells us that;

A)1390-1820=430
B)1420-1860=440
C)1390-1860=470
D)1420-1820=400

A)430/1390= 31% increased capacity
B)440/1420= 31% increase
C)470/1390= 33.8% increase
D)400/1420= 28% increase

<edited for great justice and mathematical accuracy>

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G