Why I'm not that excited about the Bionic (or any other 4g phone)

T

tavenger5

I'm up for contract renewal, so it was time to make a decision on a new phone. I could either wait for one of the 4g phones to come out or get something that is a couple months old.

I went to CES and saw all Verizon's new 4g phones. Needless to say they are all amazing phones, but is it worth waiting at this point? My answer, no.

4G LTE is bran new. When asking about the availability of 4G the Verizon rep told me that it would be rolling out slowly over the next year, big cities coming first. While I live near Philly, I don't even get 3g in my area. I could get a femtocell device, but :shrug:, that's just another expense for something I'll only use once in a while. I use wi-fi 80% of the time.

Obviously 2 cores are better than one, but is the software ready? When multiple cores started being used in desktops the software wasn't up to the task yet. The Verizon rep told me that Motorola would be making tweaks to the software to utilize both cores, but even that statement was vague. I suspect that it's going to take a little more time to get it right. Besides, I don't run that many applications on my phone to even need that much processing power. Maybe in another year I'll be using my phone for more things, but right now, no CPU intensive applications.

So, my decision was with the Droid X. I've previously reviewed the phone and loved it. It's a big step up from the D1 and I'm sure it will be more than enough for my cell phone needs at the moment.

Your thoughts?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm up for contract renewal, so it was time to make a decision on a new phone. I could either wait for one of the 4g phones to come out or get something that is a couple months old.

I went to CES and saw all Verizon's new 4g phones. Needless to say they are all amazing phones, but is it worth waiting at this point? My answer, no.

4G LTE is bran new. When asking about the availability of 4G the Verizon rep told me that it would be rolling out slowly over the next year, big cities coming first. While I live near Philly, I don't even get 3g in my area. I could get a femtocell device, but :shrug:, that's just another expense for something I'll only use once in a while. I use wi-fi 80% of the time.

Obviously 2 cores are better than one, but is the software ready? When multiple cores started being used in desktops the software wasn't up to the task yet. The Verizon rep told me that Motorola would be making tweaks to the software to utilize both cores, but even that statement was vague. I suspect that it's going to take a little more time to get it right. Besides, I don't run that many applications on my phone to even need that much processing power. Maybe in another year I'll be using my phone for more things, but right now, no CPU intensive applications.

So, my decision was with the Droid X. I've previously reviewed the phone and loved it. It's a big step up from the D1 and I'm sure it will be more than enough for my cell phone needs at the moment.

Your thoughts?

:clap::clap::clap:

Well thought out. Dual processor doesn't mean twice the speed. If you don't need that type of processor then why use it.

Apps are going to have to be designed to work with the dual core processor. That's going to take some time.

And you're dead on about the 4G service. It's going to take another 2 years for Verizon to get 4G where they have 3G now.

That's why I'm not excited by the new phones either. My next upgrade is in 15 months and I'm not changing anything until then. I'm staying with my D2. It more then satisfy's my needs in a smart phone.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
U

Your thoughts?

:clap::clap::clap:

Well thought out. Dual processor doesn't mean twice the speed. If you don't need that type of processor then why use it.

Apps are going to have to be designed to work with the dual core processor. That's going to take some time.

And you're dead on about the 4G service. It's going to take another 2 years for Verizon to get 4G where they have 3G now.

That's why I'm not excited by the new phones either. My next upgrade is in 15 months and I'm not changing anything until then. I'm staying with my D2. It more then satisfy's my needs in a smart phone.

Feel the same way here.. with all the hype surrounding dual core processors there needs to be optimization. Like better games and more intense ui. They aren't much faster than 1ghz processors either.. Maybe in a year when android is full of great games and the ui is like the one in honeycomb, count me in

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is why I have no remorse for upgrading my phone (D1) soon. If it gives what I want then what does it matter, it's not like we will be missing much anytime soon. There are always new phones coming out that will be "better", but they won't offer much more than what we will have.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
I got my D1 February of last year and I'm gonna stick with it until 4g comes to Richmond Virginia. D1 does what I need it to do as a 3g phone. However if verizon had 4g here already I would jump on the bionic and wait it out again like I'm doing with the D1.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

patfactorx

Reaction score
Yeah I heard Android wouldn't be optimized for dual core for at least awhile

Raydee35

Reaction score
My biggest thing is I don't need 4g so I don't want to pay extra for the service. I don't stream music, watch TV or any of that crap. I use the GPS check my email and get on the web from time to time. I am due for a upgrade but I am waiting to see if the 4g plans are going to be more money. If they are I will be getting the Droid X.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Let's play nice.......

jpa1384

Reaction score
My biggest thing is I don't need 4g so I don't want to pay extra for the service. I don't stream music, watch TV or any of that crap. I use the GPS check my email and get on the web from time to time. I am due for a upgrade but I am waiting to see if the 4g plans are going to be more money. If they are I will be getting the Droid X.

pretty much this...ive never had a smartphone..want to upgrade soon but not sure what to get or when.

Really considering the Fascinate/Droid2/iPhone

Considering mroe the Fascinate and the iPhone...but not sure if i should wait for the Iphone 5 which will prob be 4G but if i have to pay xtra then i wont be interested in it. I liek the Iphone4 since it has the front facing camera which lacks in the droid2/fascinate.

OP
T

tavenger5

I liked the screen on the Fascinate when I had a demo unit. Samsung puts their own little twist on Android too. I would take that over the iPhone honestly.