why i left berry land

keiichi25

Reaction score
Blackberry had it right... 5-10 years ago. At that point we NEEDED a centralized service to handle the dissemination of emails, because we didn't have all this bandwidth available right on our phones. I've had a blackberry since the screens werent even color and they didn't have a phone built in. It was genius in it's day.

Unfortunately they've really not matured well, still sticking with the problematic centralized system (single point of failure). I'm happy to be on a more open platform.

Actually, Blackberry is the forefather of distributed Information to Wireless handhelds. The problem is, that iPhone took it one step further by providing things that Windows Mobile Promised and also just making it fun for other users who were not at the corporate level to enjoy it as something other than a simple phone or PDA.

Blackberry's competition at the time was Treo and before that the Windows CE/Palm Pilot group.

Storm was a good attempt at poking against the iPhone, but the touch screen design is something I know a few people didn't like, including the iPhone users. Hell, I am still using the Storm 1 for work as it is work provided, but I am not really happy with it as far as typing with a 'push' screen and the simple fact that its spell correction sometimes is inconvenient on words you intend, but it doesn't believe it is right and you have to fight it once in a while to deal with it.

The Droid still has some kinks to work out, which is not surprising given any new version of an OS or new model will not be 100% perfect. And hell, I even recommended an iPhone for one user simply because of the fact that the iPhone is just 'simpler' to use for some particular users over another phone. And in all honesty, the Droid is a phone that is for people willing to spend the time understanding it a little, the iPhone is literally the 'Mac' for smartphone users, just as the Mac for the general computer users where the PC is for people who know a lot more and do a lot more.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
But wait, RIM has something big in store next year! Isn't that what the fanboys keep saying?
a trackpad that illuminates when touched...

maybe bubbles in the SMS

huge

now there talking open GL on certain devices too.. :rofl3:

to bad they cant run anything that will actually be able to utilize it

OP
moosc

moosc

Reaction score
if i didnt have to depend on for BIS from rims server they wouldnt be bad. they have some good things coming in six months to a year. but u will still rely on rims server which like to crash or loose connection

DroidX

Reaction score
I have seen many familiar names here. Nice to see so many of you. It is unfortunate that RIM could not bring it together with the S1 and the S2 is not that much of an improvement over the S1 to justify keeping it. I have been an loyal BB user for many years and I have to say that I am impressed with the Droid and the Android OS. Looking forward to what this device might have. And for those who know me I still have all of my BB's just enjoying something different.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
if i didnt have to depend on for BIS from rims server they wouldnt be bad. they have some good things coming in six months to a year. but u will still rely on rims server which like to crash or loose connection

thats what they always say something is comming next year just wait...

the last revolutionary device they had was the pearl.... then the storm was supposed to be the best ever and it was a flop, then OS 5 was supposed to revolutionize the device that was a flop.... then the S2 was said to be a magical device, that flopped partially because it was released under the shadow that the droid was putting out. (i still think it would have flopped on its own)

now there claiming open GL on the storm2 and tour but the device can barely run music and video from the SD i cant imagine trying to run an advanced redering system.