Why does my D2 keep powering itself down?

Bigg5Deuce

Reaction score
Tried searching for this topic already, so sorry if it has previously been addressed:

My D2 powers itself down at least once, sometimes twice, a day. Different times every day, and I have yet to notice any pattern as to what apps are running when it happens. I'm not rooted and am running Launcher Pro. Is this just something that happens with the D2, or is there something wrong with my phone?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
I think it might just happen to be your phone, my D2 would shut off sometimes.....but that was because I was trying to find the overclocking sweetspot. Since your not rooted I would just have VZW take a look at it, maybe even replace it.

Directly from a D2

Khyren

Reaction score
Mine has done this more than once now. All 4 buttons were lit and then it was off while I was trying to do something. Had to power it back up.

Reaction score
My phone has this same problem. almost everytime I hit the lock button, the four touch buttons remain lit and my phone freezes. Sometimes it reboots the phone, sometimes it goes back to normal. Its very annoying. Its been doing this since the 2.3.20 firmware update.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

sonny3

Reaction score
I currently also have Launcher Pro running on my D2.
I have the same problem, I also realized that if you hit the standby button quickly twice, the phone will do this shut down.
Try that when you're not using your phone and see if the shut down is similar on your phone.

markn455

Reaction score
My phone does this to. However, it is not actually powering off. The screen goes dark and locks. You have to hit the power button and unlock the phone. I can make the same thing happen by single tapping the status bar at the time.

I am thinking this is a feature rather than making you press the power button. You can simply tap the status bar at the top and it will make the screen turn off and lock the phone.

bdogprez

Reaction score
I'm having this problem as well - it's sporadic. Sometimes doesn't happen for days, sometimes happens 4-5 times in a row. Has anyone talked to Verizon/Motorola about this?

slowtype

Reaction score
Mine was doing this. Its a faulty phone. Get a warranty replacement. I'm on my third phone, the build quality is questionable. First one locked up like yours. Second one the screen stopped working.

bdogprez

Reaction score
Thanks. Verizon techs seem to think it's the battery (it periodically drains very quickly as well) and are sending me a new one. We'll see. I suspect that you're right and the phone is defective.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Yea I would go with a bad phone b4 the battery if its cutting off b4 the batt goes dead

Tapping To Talk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone with this issue.

The D2 doesn't reboot unless something is wrong. Usually it's an app causing the issue.

If you are using a task killer or an antivirus remove it. If you still have an issue then a Factory Data Reset is in order. That's done from the Privacy section in your settings.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, you've got a bad Droid. Get another one.