Why do so many apps start on their own???

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
This has been bugging me. There are several that I have never used that actually start by themselves. Corporate calendar, alarm clock, voice dialer to name a few. Yes I use a dreaded task killer and that is how I can tell that they are running. Is there any way to keep apps that I don't even use from starting up at all???

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a good question. It's just the way the Droid works, and really nothing you can do about it unless you delete the app. But since it doesn't affect performance on the Droid you really shouldn't let it bother you. Droid knows what it's doing, it's not a Blackberry.

FWIW I do have an app killer but I rarely use it and it's not set to kill anything automatically. I don't think twice about what's running though.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
if you have root, you can disable these items with Autostart:

Autostarts v1.5.3 Application for Android | Tools

chart

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
the only thing i use my taskkiler for is to kill some games and normally the browser.

everything else turns on automatically so no point in killing them and it doesn't have any affect on the performance of the phone either.

Russ2387

Reaction score
Well dont they affect the battery? Those exact apps are always on, within 30 seconds of using app killer, they appear again. Its frustrating.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Those apps that android uses often should just be put on the ignore list of your task killer. By killing them you are only gong to hinder performance on your phone, because they are just going to open themselves up again anyway. Put apps like alarm clock, messaging, email, and other android functions on your ignore list. And they arent going to affect battery because most of those arent battery intensive. The alarm clock only functions when an alarm needs to go off. Otherwise its just hanging out. And its going to open itself anyway, so just let it be in the background. You'll notice increased performance when you add those apps to the ignore list

kcdigitals

Reaction score
I don't understand though, when I woke up this morning, my phone was DEAD. When I went to bed, it was fully charged. Pandora Radio, Facebook, and a couple of other apps were running, you're saying this doesn't affect battery life, yet my battery was 100% dead when I got up. Can someone please tell me why?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I don't understand though, when I woke up this morning, my phone was DEAD. When I went to bed, it was fully charged. Pandora Radio, Facebook, and a couple of other apps were running, you're saying this doesn't affect battery life, yet my battery was 100% dead when I got up. Can someone please tell me why?

If Pandora was still streaming and Facebook was automatically updating then that will drain the battery. However, the other apps mentioned don't constantly function while opened. You can shut Pandora down without an app killer. Just use menu > Quit.

AMDfan

Reaction score
This is an old thread, but since the issue is still present, and obviously people are still looking for solutions to this (I was, anyway).. The only thing I've found so far that helps me is to freeze the apps (requires root) in question.. In my case, it does affect performance in a really bad way, I have a Droid 3 and these apps are getting more and more advanced and my phone is becoming less able to handle them. Droid 3 only has 512MB RAM, so I freeze several apps when not in use. If I need them, I simply un-freeze, use and re-freeze. That's annoying too, but if I don't, my phone bogs down to the point it won't hardly do anything - at one point it would take several minutes for my dialer to actually dial anyone, and by then I had gotten frustrated and told it to do it more than once and suddenly I have multiple connections to the same phone going at once.