Why do I have to keep pulling the battery in order to get

moparharn

Reaction score
my emails? An important email I sent did not go out and 18 hours worth of emails did not come in. I cannot live with this kind of reliability. Is it time to take it back? Or is their a fix? Any ideas would be appreciated.

mjs31

Reaction score
my emails? An important email I sent did not go out and 18 hours worth of emails did not come in. I cannot live with this kind of reliability. Is it time to take it back? Or is their a fix? Any ideas would be appreciated.

My emails go and come in fine. May want to reset your email up or at least double check your settings.

sir

Reaction score
i second that. i haven't had an issue with any of my mail accounts since i set them up while i was at verizon buying the device. i'd check all of your sync settings.

OP
M

moparharn

Reaction score
Been there, Done that, Twice. I have re-set up my email

twice. I have set up google sync twice and it did not work either. Verizon told me that this is something I am going to have to live with until the ISP's become more friendly with the Droid phone. I know Blackberry has paid the ISP's to have their phones work with the email of the providers. I use AOL, Yahoo, and Comcast. Verizon said that I will have to keep pulling the battery which establishes a new pull signal that the email providers see as a new request rather than a continuous one. Death by inches with this device. Verizon extended my 30 trial to December 17th in the hope that the December 11th update would fix enough of my problems that I might decide to keep the phone. I don't know if I can wait that long for this thing to work right. I like the phone but.......come on! I think I am headed back to ATT to get the Iphone as my ol BB Bold does not have a big enough screen for my eyes. I would try the passion and stay with Verizon but who knows when that will be out, and will it work any better than the Droid. Why do I have to pull my battery and you guys don't? Why is Verizon telling me this is the way it must be for a while? Do you guys use AOL, Yahoo, and Comcast? My work email is just over the counter pop3. This is not as bad as the storm1 ordeal I had, but that one broke down my 20 year plus relationship with Verizon and sent me to ATT. Now I come home and it is happening all over again. Is there an app for email reliability?

ericwiz

Reaction score
you mention ISP so I am assuming you are using wifi for the sync? why not just use the 3G?

I dont have any issues with wifi (work, home) or 3G (everywhere else) with either work or personal email. Is this gmail or another account and how are you connecting? (pop imap, mapi)

OP
M

moparharn

Reaction score
I am not sure I understand what you mean. The yahoo

is set up per the instruction supplement I got from Verizon and it is imap for in and smtp for out. Aol sets itself up on the phone as imap in and smtp out. Comcast is mail.comast.net in and smtp out. The work email mail.company name.com in and out. They work fine for a few days and then just stop receiving or sending. If I pull the battery it all starts working again. Is there a way around this? I tried to set up Google to grab my emails from these accounts, but it would not wrok for me. My google account will always send my mail and is not affected by this problem. Maybe because it is a google phone eh! I guess these guys are not willing to work together as they are all competitors? This basic function should be a flawless and given part of any smart phone and it appears that only Blackberry can do it right. I hope that the Iphone and Passion can do it better or will have to go back to the Blackberry. One step forward and two steps back. Think of the money wasted by users and Verizon/Moto trying to get these things to work right. I think this is why the Iphone is so successful, it is closed arctitecture, but it works!

sir

Reaction score
1) blackberry has been out for many years - they better be able to do email (and i still don't like the way it does email)
2) the iPhone doesn't "do it right" either (seeing as though "doing it right" is all opinion-based)
3) it's possible it's an issue with comcast and comcast isn't playing nice with other companies?

The fact that it "works" and then "doesn't" seems very shady to me (shady as in I can't tell if it's pebkac or not).

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
It just doesnt make sense why it works then stops......

Dumb question but you are not messing with any of your sync settings are you?

atlharry

Reaction score
Comcast is notorious for not playing well with other. I actually can't believe your outgoing mail EVER works when you're not at home on wifi. Back in the day when I used a comcast email address, they would restrict all smtp traffic to comcast IP subnets. Instead of using a comcast smtp server, try using the Gmail smtp server. Make sure that you are setting it up according to the settings documented here: Outlook 2003 - Gmail Help

OP
M

moparharn

Reaction score
Boy this may sound really stupid, but what sync settings? I just press the email icon, add new account, enter the info, and it woks for just a while. I thought I had it made when I found that Google could be set up to retrieve my email, I set it up and google downloaded evrything fine, but did not send it to my phone. I tried it again and got the same thing so I just deleted the accounts from google and stayed with the email icon set up.

OP
M

moparharn

Reaction score
What is pebkac? As for comcast, it works with the others until they all go down until I pull the battery. They ALL, ALWAYS worked with my Blackberry, I want something better. I think the Droid is cool as hell, but I have to get my email. The other jillion little things will eventually get fixed.

sir

Reaction score
when you go into your email account - like, view the inbox, then press the menu button and go to Account Settings, and check to see what your sync settings are set to.

pebkac = Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair ;)

ericwiz

Reaction score
I don't use pop so I am not really sure but, when you are in your email on the droid, can you do a send/receive like you would with outlook? Would that get your email?

keiichi25

Reaction score
Here might be also a good suggestion for you.

Make sure you have a 4x1 space on your desktop.

Push your Menu icon
Tap 'Add'
Tap 'Widgets'
Scroll down and tap 'Power Control'

This will put down a nice little power control bar, which shows 5 icons.

In this order, they are:

WiFi
Bluetooth
GPS
Sync
Auto-Brightness

I highly recommend keeping this up for yourself, because it is a quick way for you to see what is 'turned on' for you, namely, the Sync part, as this is the 'Background Sync' that should be on if you want timely updates from your mail and sending mail. Otherwise, your next option is to 'manually refresh' your mailboxes, which you do that by holding down your finger on the mailbox within Mail for a menu option to show up and tapping 'Refresh'.

OP
M

moparharn

Reaction score
My settings read like this:

Acc name
My name
Check every 5 minutes
Default acc= uchecked
Email notifications= checked
Ringtone= Kurb Sonar
vibrate = checked