Why can't ipad haters see..l

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Somebody needs to move this to the off topic or non android phones section because this has absolutely nothing to do with the General Verizon Droid Discussion.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was about to say -- what does this have to do with the Droid? The Offtopic Forum is precisely for threads like this.

Rettocs

Reaction score
inb4moved

It honestly would be better if, as the OP said, they marketed it as an e-book reader on steroids. This would get people hyped for it. People carry around their kindles, and a lot wish they could pull up a browser on it, but they can't. This is the type of user who would want this. But trying to compete against netbooks and laptops is not going to do Apple any favors with this device.

coondogg97

Reaction score
One of the great benefits of an e-reader is you can download any book any time over FREE wireless connectivity. To market the iPad as an e-reader with a monthly fee would have been even a bigger mistake.

Reaction score
I can see this coming to the school system that I was in. They are trying to go completely digital. The year after I graduated they started the process of getting rid of all the pc's. Now every kid in high school and middle school pays a deposit and they recieve a bottom of the line macbook that is theirs to use during school and take home with them. The students in the lower grades have them to use at school and not take home. They are trying to get all of the textbooks in school and put them on the macbook. My brother loves his macbook for some things. You really cant use it as a personal computer though because most websites and such are blocked.

On the not of the actual ipad. It cannot be better than a laptop if it is not running OSX. This is just apples attempt to try and get rid of other ereader competition. But with the amount of people that have already dropped the money on the kindle or the sony one etc. Why would they get rid of that and go drop even more money on the Ipad. It seems a little bid odd. I think it looks really cool and would love to try it out just not all everyone expected it to be.

Rettocs

Reaction score
One of the great benefits of an e-reader is you can download any book any time over FREE wireless connectivity. To market the iPad as an e-reader with a monthly fee would have been even a bigger mistake.

You aren't required to have the 3g, and as such, you wouldn't have a monthly fee. You CAN have the 3g, so that you can use the internet anywhere, but it is an option.

Last edited:

FireDroid

Reaction score
And the ones with 3G start a couple hundred more!!! Also for that kind of coin you can get a pretty sweet laptop with TONS more memory! It is a nice addition to the E-Reader market though!

Rettocs

Reaction score
And the ones with 3G start a couple hundred more!!! Also for that kind of coin you can get a pretty sweet laptop with TONS more memory! It is a nice addition to the E-Reader market though!

But to compare to the Kindle, which it is, you wouldn't need the 3g, which means that you don't factor in the extra money to get it.

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
that the ipad is apple's way of doing an ereader.
i wish they didn't market it like they are which appears to be a computer alternative.

no this is a multimedia ereader.

Not a tablet that's missing stuff but a "kindle with a whole lot of extras"

Three Reasons Why the iPad WILL Kill Amazon’s Kindle - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

Our droids are safe. Ipad's are for a whole different market.

I guess you didn't hear the beginning of jobs talking when he stated:

During his keynote, Jobs said "it's better than a laptop". I can't believe he said that with a straight face. It's just a larger iphone without the ability to make calls. It lacks a lot of essentials so how is this "Our most advanced technology in a magical and revolutionary device at a unbelievable price"?

He wants people to buy this over a netbook.... which unfortunately can do a HECK of alot more then his POS device. Don't sugar coat what he is saying. He somehow thinks this has real possibilities in the tablet world. Sorry to let him know, there are other tablets out there, and they almost all do more this his can.

Rettocs

Reaction score
He wants people to buy this over a netbook.... which unfortunately can do a HECK of alot more then his POS device. Don't sugar coat what he is saying. He somehow thinks this has real possibilities in the tablet world. Sorry to let him know, there are other tablets out there, and they almost all do more this his can.

The TC is saying he wished Apple/Jobs would promote it as an e-reader instead of competing with the netbook industry.

i wish they didn't market it like they are which appears to be a computer alternative.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

The TC is saying he wished Apple/Jobs would promote it as an e-reader instead of competing with the netbook industry.

Yes but in his own statement he's saying this is the way apple is doing an ereader, and that's how they should market it. Unfortunately that's not what steve jobs stated in his own conference.

His own words read from the thread name "Why can't ipad haters see..." and the very next thing written is "... that the ipad is apples way of doing an ereader". That is his statement, he's merely saying afterwards that he wished they would market at one.

Steve jobs wants this as a netbook replacement, a all around experience from his own words. Yes it does have a few ok things to it, but an ereader is far from what jobs wants this to really end up being. From the conference that i watched, he wants this to replace your netbooks, and look it even has our ereader on it that will soon take off with many books.

Big Lou

Reaction score
Let's be frank. The iPad is ridiculous. This is one of the worst products to ever come out of Cupertino.