Why can't ipad haters see..l

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Last edited:

Enter

Reaction score
During his keynote, Jobs said "it's better than a laptop". I can't believe he said that with a straight face. It's just a larger iphone without the ability to make calls. It lacks a lot of essentials so how is this "Our most advanced technology in a magical and revolutionary device at a unbelievable price"?

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
During his keynote, Jobs said "it's better than a laptop". I can't believe he said that with a straight face. It's just a larger iphone without the ability to make calls. It lacks a lot of essentials so how is this "Our most advanced technology in a magical and revolutionary device at a unbelievable price"?

What's clear is that apple is all about making money.
Like any company that doesn't want to die.

No one is going to pay that much for an ereader that can do a whole lot more BUT people will spend that kinda money on a big ipod touch

This is all about killing the kindle and getting accounts with schools and university's.
As soon as he said 3G i knew this was apple's kindle and a direct attack.

Then he said "books in epub" and i knew!

I'm a teacher and i know school districts and university's will buy this-
A multimedia experience to get kids to read more.

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Nah, it sucks and completely mises the point of what we all wanted it to do.

Enter

Reaction score

What's clear is that apple is all about making money.
Like any company that doesn't want to die.

No one is going to pay that much for an ereader that can do a whole lot more BUT people will spend that kinda money on a big ipod touch

This is all about killing the kindle and getting accounts with schools and university's.
As soon as he said 3G i knew this was apple's kindle and a direct attack.

Then he said "books in epub" and i knew!

I'm a teacher and i know school districts and university's will buy this-
A multimedia experience to get kids to read more.

Uh not public schools for sure. I went to the best public school in Chicago, we had the oldest macs, oldest computers until one day we received 75 Gateway 2000s who won a contest. I went there for a reunion in 2006 and they were still there. Universities don't usually keep up with technology because it is not about how pretty something looks but how they get the job done. We still have old Dells with Windows XP on it in our library. Can they run any game from 2006 smoothly? Probably not but students only need it for a couple things:
1. Internet
2. Word
3. Powerpoint
and sometimes, although rarely Excel
There is already an online database that the school runs that has access to many books, magazines, articles, journals, etc.
iPad DRM: a huge step backwards in the history of computing

boatman2220

Reaction score
No matter what it is or what it does if Apple markets it and calls it Ithis or Ithat, there will be lots of people that will buy it. Same way as tissue paper is commonly known as Klennex. Cover the market with Ieverything. Shoot enough times and you'll hit something.

boatman2220

Reaction score
I'd bet that Apple makes almost as much from licensing as they do from products they make.

sarreq

Reaction score
well, he at least got the "unbelievable price" part right, who would actually pay that much for a trumped up, oversized ipod touch/ereader?

NickWgnr

Reaction score
I'm loving how every news station I've listened to this morning, AOTS on G4, and my friends who are huge apples fans say this this is an epic fail... Haha. It's a jumbo iTouch with acouple other features! But the part that makes me laugh is that it doesn't have any usbs, lol.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

John.Edwards

Reaction score
It seems to me the battery life (10 hours) is what will turn people off to the ipad. I hope to see my son using an e-reader for school books, and this seems like way too much device for that use. Sometimes devices need to do one thing very well, and that's it.

It seems like an expensive, cool netbook without a keyboard. There will be plenty of people to buy it, and if someone builds a very good app for voice input to text, that could make it a bit more useful.

xandor

Reaction score
"Better than a laptop"? Even laptops allow you to multitask. This doesn't allow you to do that.

baniels

Reaction score
Well, it does have USB support, they just make you go way the heck out of your way to get the correct proprietary dongle to make it happen.