Why can't I save a playlist on a Droid?

ARZ

Reaction score
I have owned a Droid original, 2, X2, 3 and now a Samsung note 2 and all of them purge the playlist when you add a song or remove the micro SD card.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Mookie

Reaction score
Is your playlists being saved to the SD card? I just removed mine and got a new GN2 (hardware issues) and when I popped the SD card in it had all my playlists and music on my phone? I also use isyncer with rocketplayer. That might make a difference.

OP
A

ARZ

Reaction score
There is no option to save the playlist to the phone memory or the sd card. The playlist names actually stay but the actual playlist is empty.

Also every time I add music that seems to wipe out all the songs in each playlist too. I just drag and drop via, PC windows, is there some loader we are supposed to be using?

I find it INSANE that the whole Droid community was designed to compete with Apple, and this VERY simple functionality eludes them for over 4 years, and NO ONE has brought it to their attention. Dont get me wrong I hate Apple for other reasons.

I will try the 2 programs you mention.

I also find it odd, that with over 200 views, no one else can claim they have the same issues or comment that theirs works ok.

Edit:
For all you lurkers, please go into whatever player you use and create a playlist. Save a few songs to it. Then add a few more songs to your device, then open your playlist up again and see if those songs stayed there. I am very interested to know if this is a problem for all of you guys/gals.

With this latest Note II all it took was pulling the SD card and reinstalling it to find it had removed all of the songs from EACH playlist. AWESOME, TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

WTH is wrong with this software, and why cant I find the actual Playlist files on the phone memory or the card memory?

Last edited:

pool_shark

Reaction score
I created my playlists years ago on my PC then moved to whatever phone I had back then.
Any time I add a song to the playlists on my phone, they stay added. The proof of that is the fact that I have switched ROMs countless times over the past 2 weeks, and the playlists are still in tact.

OP
A

ARZ

Reaction score
I created my playlists years ago on my PC then moved to whatever phone I had back then.
Any time I add a song to the playlists on my phone, they stay added. The proof of that is the fact that I have switched ROMs countless times over the past 2 weeks, and the playlists are still in tact.
What software did you create your playlists in?

Mookie

Reaction score
I use itunes and isyncer is the go between. works awesome.

OP
A

ARZ

Reaction score
Im excited to try each of those tomorrow, but I still find it extremely ironic that many of us with a droid are still using an Apple or Microsoft product to manage music on my phone.

I'll close with the same question in my original post.

Am I missing something?

OP
A

ARZ

Reaction score
Ok more limits!!! At work I am on a PC and at a big corp, so I can not load Isyncer, also I can not put my music on my work computer to create a play list using WMP. I am rarely at home with my home computer and that music is always on a removable hard drive, and I have never loaded Itunes on my newer laptop. All I have ever done is drag and drop songs to my phone memory card.

WOW this is a PITA.

Still finding it amazing that I cant make a playlist on the phone that STAYS on the phone.

Plugging the Note II into my work computer I did find a folder under the Phone memory that was named Playlist, fortunately it still had the playlist folders in it, and they appeared to have the few songs I put in them to test. I copied it to the card, and opened another window and dragged it to a few of the play list names in the copied folder I named on the card. I added a few more songs to a few playlists. I disconnected the phone from the computer and the phone memory deleted all the playlists in both directories.

Man I cant believe no one else is unhappy with their playlist problems.

Mookie

Reaction score
Then use gmusic, you can create play lists online from your uploaded music and also download for offline listening.
Your issue is why I went back to the Iphone from when the bionic first came out, horrible music players and no easy way to get play lists. The options now are on par with the Iphone now.

OP
A

ARZ

Reaction score
I directly emailed someone from Isyncr and they seem very receptive. I am giving them very detailed descriptions of what happens and they seem very receptive. I have downloaded Rocket player and the playlitst seem to stay even when I add music or delete songs. Or pull out the card and reinstall it. Although when pulling the card, and I lost ALL of the playlists, (this only happened once) I am beginning to think this happened because I installed the card in my old phone to transfer some data and photos to the card.

Ill report back as soon as I know what fixed my playlist issue. It still amazes me more people are not unhappy with their phones playlist issues.

Still haven't made Isyncr work on my home computer and linked to my phone. It does not appear to do ANYTHING on the phone alone. Its very hard to find all of the requirements of Isyncr. If anybody has experience please chime in.

Isyncr questions.
1. Do I need to have Itunes installed on my pc? Currently I do not, and have never created a playlist in itunes.

2. What happens if I delete a song from the phone that was already in a play list.

Ill get the PC sorted with the music I want and create some playlists there and curious to know if I can drag them to the phone or vice versa.

Last edited:

Mookie

Reaction score
Isyncr questions.
1. Do I need to have Itunes installed on my pc? Currently I do not, and have never created a playlist in itunes.

2. What happens if I delete a song from the phone that was already in a play list.
1. according to the FAQ at isyncr
"What does this iSyncr app do?
iSyncr lets you sync iTunes playlists with your Android device."
It also allows you to create playlists on your phone and export them to itunes.

2. It deletes the song from the hard drive and any playlists it was on. Also, if you delete a song from a playlist it deletes it from the hard drive. That part I don't like.

Itunes is about as basic as it gets. It is super easy to use. You can use wifi or tethered. Playlists are equally easy to use. I have tried a LOT of other music programs but keep going back to itunes. Yes, there are issues, it can be just plain pissy at times, but for transferring music it is the easiest for me. And the interface is mostly simple, it is an apple after all.

You have to install isyncer on any device you use, that includes the PC. Isyncer only opens on the PC when it is connected via cord, and if you mess up your playlists or forget one you have to unplug then plug it back in. Wireless you don't have to worry about that.

I can take screen shots of the process if you want.

dk123

Reaction score
Me Too!

I have exactly the same issue. I've lost count of the number of times I've recreated the playlist contents on my phone it's so annoying.

I think the issue is the Samsung Music Player (SMP) app not saving the playlist to the device storage.
The SMP creates the playlist file on the storage but does not save the playlist contents from working RAM to main storage.
I dont know of a clean way to shut down the SMP app so I can't force the SMP to write the playlist contents out to storage.

Try it out, I use a Windows PC but I expect you'll see the same thing on a Mac:

1. In the Samsung Music Player app create a playlist. I called mine "TestPlayList"
2. Add a few tracks to your playlist.
3. Connect your phone to your PC (or Mac etc) and look at the phones playlist folder. Mine is in \GT-N7105T\Phone\Playlists\TestPlayList.pla
4. Note that the playlist file size is 0 (zero) bytes
5. Note that no mater how many tracks you add to the playlist the size remains at 0 (zero)

I don't have a solution other than I'm going to try out RocketPlayer as suggested and see if that works for me.

EDIT:
You have to connect the phone as an MPT device to see the playlist folder and files. Hit the USB icon in the phones status bar for the options when connected to the computer.

Last edited: