Why are my text messages threads now?

johnnyguitar

Reaction score
I am new to droid and am really enjoying most everything about it except for the text messaging functions. Why are they now in thread format? I really wish i could have them like I had on my old ENv2 phone where each message was it's unique and not attached to dozens of other messages to/from that person. Is there any way to change some settings somewhere to stop threading the SMS's?

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
I don't see a way to do it, but I'm on a Pro, so it might be different.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to go to the single messages?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not really. You could download handcent sms from the marketplace and enable pop ups. This will make each individual message pop up un screen but ultimately they will still reside in a thread with that contacts sms. There may be another way but not that I know of/definately not with the stock messaging.

tappin and a talkin

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't know of any apps that would just have it go to one message per window. Handcent or ChompSMS has individual pop up messages, but as spaz stated, they'll collect in a thread.

I don't know why you'd want it different, but this makes it easier to access older texts. To each his own......I guess

OP
J

johnnyguitar

Reaction score
The reason I don't like it is because I like seeing all the messages separately, and i can scroll between messages rather than having to keep going back a screen to see the other threads then goping back into another thread, only to have to go back out again and select a different thread. It also remembers my last trhread so it opens up usually where I don't want it to be. Just plain annoying.:icon_evil:

JoeeDB

Reaction score
The reason I don't like it is because I like seeing all the messages separately, and i can scroll between messages rather than having to keep going back a screen to see the other threads then goping back into another thread, only to have to go back out again and select a different thread. It also remembers my last trhread so it opens up usually where I don't want it to be. Just plain annoying.:icon_evil:

You are probably the only person I know that prefers their texts the old dumb phone way... The way they are set up on the droid is so much easier in better in my opinion.

Beka27

Reaction score
I came from an env2, it was a pain in the butt to try and reference old texts! When I'd want to show someone a series of events ("She said this, so then I said that, and then she said this...") it took forever to go from sent to received and back again. I don't store my texts long-term, every few days I'll go in and delete all the threads. That's my best suggestion for you, just delete your threads every night if it bothers you.

OP
J

johnnyguitar

Reaction score

You are probably the only person I know that prefers their texts the old dumb phone way... The way they are set up on the droid is so much easier in better in my opinion.

If you don't have anything helpful to offer about the question I posted, perhaps you should shut the hell up, I didn't solicit opinions about my personal preferences.

OP
J

johnnyguitar

Reaction score
I came from an env2, it was a pain in the butt to try and reference old texts! When I'd want to show someone a series of events ("She said this, so then I said that, and then she said this...") it took forever to go from sent to received and back again. I don't store my texts long-term, every few days I'll go in and delete all the threads. That's my best suggestion for you, just delete your threads every night if it bothers you.

Thanks for the help. It looks like what it boils down to is that there is no practical way to tweak these apps like I can on my PC, and make them more user-friendly. I guess the technology needs to catch up a bit.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I tried looking around for an app that does traditional texting, unfortunately I couldn't find anything.

I think all smartphones (at least the ones I've messed around with) use threads now. I guess they find it easier to look back at text by person instead of what order you got them in.

As for technology needing to catch up, it's pretty far ahead, especially for smartphones. There's always going to be tweaks her and there to basic features, but eventually it'll all get mainstreamed and slowly force a change. "dumb phones" will eventually use threads too I think. You'll get used to it eventually...