Whose to blame?...Wireless Advocates/Costco or myself

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
yeah, glad it got resolved for ya... but quite frankly, costco shouldn't have to when you failed to take care of it. This is the type of situation insurance was designed for (and I'm just assuming you didn't get insurance or this wouldn't have been an issue)

the holster manufacturer offered no warranty for it's product, so the fact that it failed the first time, or 2 years later, resulting in something happening to your phone is not relevant...

Costco has no control that you can't keep your phone protected.

again, not bashing you... accidents happen. But you (assumingly) turned down insurance at some point.... paying for a replacement phone is the risk you therefore, take.

ambrown

Reaction score
He said he would do it this once (Costco) and it would be on their dime. He said buy a better holster, and use Costco American Express. This latter point was brilliant, as he said they will replace electronics - including broken cell phones without any question or issue. Good to know. Thank you Costco.

Yeah I used to work for a credit card company and often if your card has some kind of buyer's insurance then it makes the whole thing easier to get resolved. You always want to make sure your card has insurance of some kind before you put your item on it of coarse.

Ultimately I don't usually buy their extra plans because they are usually either too pricey or they don't really cover anything other than the random defect(read non-accidental).

Also I would buy a case over a holster just because you know you're going to drop your phone at some point from various distances onto various surfaces and a good case can help prevent major damage, though it's not fool proof. I've dropped my phone several times (once even into a puddle of water while getting out of the car) but the case I use has served me well. Plus I have an invisible shield on the screen which I don't doubt has offered some protection in those cases too. Its just too big of an investment to not have something to protect your phone.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

Last edited:

GeLopez

Reaction score
I agree with mcatdt. This is exactly what insurance is designed for. Not to sound rude but I consider your case to be your fault and your fault only.

Don't take it the wrong way it's just another opinion.

Reaction score
I say good job costo, to many companys have forgot the meaning of customer service. I don't think the gentleman this happen to was trying to scam anyone.

OP
D

Delray

Reaction score
@GeLopez...just to clarify, There is a warranty...a 90 day warranty it covers defects. The Holster was defective. The strap came undone the first time I used it. You can read about the warranty in your contract- 3rd paragraph. The holster is sold as part of the phone package. It is branded "Costco". I guess they could have only replaced the holster as someone pointed out.

Neither Telephone Advocates nor Costco offer insurance. There nothing to turn down. It is available only thru a 3rd party for Verizon: Calling Features: Total Equipment Coverage – now with Mobile Recovery

The American Express option was the best idea IMO.

Last edited:

nikecar

Reaction score
plus you get 2% cash back at the end of the yr. I was told by a Costco Employee that its best to get that card when you will do a large purchase.