Who says you can't get something of value for free? VOIP ANYONE?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Folks, in my exploration today for a way to make calls without using up my finite limited calling minutes in my infinite unlimited data plan (Nationwide Calling 1,400 minutes per month at $70 with Unlimited Data - a grandfathered plan no longer available with Verizon), I was looking for a way to make VOIP calls, but not use Google Hangouts, Google Voice, Skype or even some of the other tools such as ooVoo, Tango, Line or the like (none really work this way). Well, I found a Holy Grail.

Introducing GrooVe IP, Free Internet (AND WIFI) calling to and from any phone number and, yes, it's completely free.

GrooVe IP Lite Free Calls - Android Apps on Google Play

OexuZdK86Cz197aM28ZzqX5xdMTNgLp3vqHlEJ2erVEtL-hqoRVTfqX4o0TATK_siWY=w300-rw

GrooVe IP Lite - Free Calls

Voice without Minutes!

Turn your Android device into a free phone. Get a free US phone number that will be able to receive calls from anywhere in the world. In addition, you will be able to make unlimited calls to US and Canadian phone numbers for free using Voice over IP (VoIP) technology. You get all of this without using any of your cellular minutes. GrooVe IP works on any android device, mobile phone or tablet, and allows you to make calls using the device’s data (WiFi or mobile data) connection.

GrooVe IP has a separate dialer that can be used to make calls. Alternatively, the native dialer, call-log, contacts, and favorite functionality can be shared between the phone and app on a call-by-call basis.

One of the features I especially enjoy is that it's "Clandestine", meaning it is a totally separate phone number from your carrier's issued phone nnumber, and you get to choose from a list of numbers in the area code(s) you enter when enrolling. Also, since it is not tied to your cellular service, the calls do NOT appear on your primary number call log, not on your phone bill, and (unlike Hangouts), not even in your Google history. In other words, it's like a burner phone without carrying a separate phone.

From a person whom I was on a call with while typing this, they said that the sound quality was good, on par with standard phone service. Of course, it also works with your Bluetooth headset, so again, it's virtually the same as your regular phone. Even more exciting, if you have an older smartphone that you have since taken out of service, and you have Wi-Fi connectivity but no mobile plan, you can use this app to convert it to a free, full-featured working phone. If you are traveling overseas, you can take your device with you and make/receive calls for free on WiFi without paying any carrier roaming charges.

One last BIG discovery... If you get a NORMAL Cellular call while on a GrooVe IP call, it announces it in your ear, but the other party doesn't hear it. You can take that other call, the GrooVe IP call is placed on silent hold, and when you hang up the Cellular call, your GrooVe IP call is automatically rejoined. WOW!

Check it out!! Pretty cool.

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I'm definitely going to have to try this out!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Living in Thailand, I have been using VOIP for years to call and to receive calls from family and friends back in the US.
I started with Vonage as they had the best service for years but the cost kept escalating. When it went over $25. per month, I looked at alternatives and settled on Ooma.

Ooma charges $3.78 per month and I get unlimited calls [in and out] within the US and Canada.
They Include VM, call forwarding call blocking and the rest of the goodies you get with most landlines.
The downside is, you must buy the Ooma base station which plugs into a router for $99. I plug a cordless phone into the Ooma box and I have the equivalent of a landline.

I use the Ooma App and have all the features on my mobile device as well. You can also install the App on a tablet or just about any Android or IOS device.

The call quality is awesome. They provide HD quality.

For me, this has proven to be the best solution

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have Ooma for my home phone, but haven't figured out how to use it on my cellphone (without forwarding). It may be a premium service, which honestly isn't worth it to me.

I've also tried VoIP with Hangouts, and it there were terrible connection issues and lag (although the clarity was pretty good). Made itself my default ringer and I had a heck of a time getting rid of it.

Anyway, I've been using a GV number for years and not interested in a new number to try GrooveIP.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have Ooma for my home phone, but haven't figured out how to use it on my cellphone (without forwarding). It may be a premium service, which honestly isn't worth it to me.

I've also tried VoIP with Hangouts, and it there were terrible connection issues and lag (although the clarity was pretty good). Made itself my default ringer and I had a heck of a time getting rid of it.

Anyway, I've been using a GV number for years and not interested in a new number to try GrooveIP.

Well hey, I have Google Voice as well, but what I like about this over Google Voice is that the calls are not placed on my Google history. Whatever my reasons, it's a way to remain incognito and not have all my life in Google's server history.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB

Install the App and your good to go.

Ooma Mobile HD - Android Apps on Google Play

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Living in Thailand, I have been using VOIP for years to call and to receive calls from family and friends back in the US.
I started with Vonage as they had the best service for years but the cost kept escalating. When it went over $25. per month, I looked at alternatives and settled on Ooma.

Ooma charges $3.78 per month and I get unlimited calls [in and out] within the US and Canada.
They Include VM, call forwarding call blocking and the rest of the goodies you get with most landlines.
The downside is, you must buy the Ooma base station which plugs into a router for $99. I plug a cordless phone into the Ooma box and I have the equivalent of a landline.

I use the Ooma App and have all the features on my mobile device as well. You can also install the App on a tablet or just about any Android or IOS device.

The call quality is awesome. They provide HD quality.

For me, this has proven to be the best solution

I purchased something interesting, kind of along the same line but doesn't use WIFI, although with the app mentioned in my OP and an old Android or iPhone this would give the phone VOIP and of course if there was WIFI in the area this would do that as well without cellular service. It's called a Bluetooth Gateway (or Cell and Home Convergence Adapter).

A1J7_1_20121017_73483535.jpg

I used it for my father-in-law when he was in the hospital and we didn't want to pay the ridiculous rate for a landline phone for him when he already had a cellular phone, but wanted him to be able to use a regular phone handset. This lets you plug a regular phone into it, corded or cordless, then via Bluetooth links up with a cellular phone in the room. We kept his cellular phone in the desktop charger and on 24/7. He could make calls from the regular phone and it ports the calls through the cellular phone seamlessly. If a call comes in on the cellular phone, the desk phone rings.

It can accept upto 3 cellular phones and each one lights up on the top to identify which cellular phone the call is coming in on. This way, you could have 3 different family members' phones connected to the one landline style desk phone and it will ring that phone anytime one of the 3 cellphones is in range and rings.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

You can make calls over data out and about with the Ooma App? I was under the impression that if that existed, it was a $10-11/mo premium option.

I will otherwise endorse Ooma as a cheap home landline. 911 service is a nice, and I think necessary, feature for just a couple bucks more. Only downside is you're screwed on a power/internet outage.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
You can make calls over data out and about with the Ooma App? I was under the impression that if that existed, it was a $10-11/mo premium option.

I will otherwise endorse Ooma as a cheap home landline. 911 service is a nice, and I think necessary, feature for just a couple bucks more. Only downside is you're screwed on a power/internet outage.
I don't know if they now charge. I've been using the App with no additional charges. I may have been grandfathered if they now are charging a fee. Reading the PS write up, seems if you want the phone to ring when getting incoming calls, you need to have a premium account, but you can make outgoing without paying an additional charge.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they now charge. I've been using the App with no additional charges. I may have been grandfathered if they now are charging a fee.

I will look into it. I thought I had, but was confused.

Anyway, for home VoIP I pay like $8 a month, including taxes, for local & [US] long-distance with 911 service. Good luck finding a non-promo price for less than $35/mo.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I will look into it. I thought I had, but was confused.

Anyway, for home VoIP I pay like $8 a month, including taxes, for local & [US] long-distance with 911 service. Good luck finding a non-promo price for less than $35/mo.
Why so much... Ooma only charges tax.. I pay $3.78

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
That's the basic fee. 911 service is like $3 more. Premium service is $10-$11.
Aha.. Got it.. Obviously, I have no need for 911 service..

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well as mentioned above, with an old cellular phone and WIFI and the GrooVe IP app, you have free WIFI calling, and then you use the Bluetooth gateway, and a desk phone, and you have full blown phone service in the house for free.

Last edited:

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Unfortunately I cannot get this application to connect for me. When you were offered choices for a phone number, were any in your city? Or even a city close to your location? The phone numbers that I had to choose from were in a city 45 minutes away. I don't know if that may have something to do with it or not. Waiting to hear from the developers.

✋ Sent from my Droid Turbo with Tapatalk

Last edited: