Whither Vanilla Android on Verizon?

Streamheat

Reaction score
After reading Verizon's Roadmap, my first response is: Isn't anybody going to make a phone that just leaves Android alone? The proprietary UIs don't bring anything to the table, affect performance and battery life. I really want a CDMA Nexus One. Does anyone know if there's anything like that on the way, or if eFuse will allow the installation of vanilla FroYo or Gingerbread?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
pretty much every manufacturer is looking for ways to make their devices unique from the others especially when it comes to flagship devices.

once rooted all that is removable but i doubt you will see any worthwhile devices with vanilla OS.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably the closes you're going to come to getting what you want is what you already have.

drpurp

Reaction score
I'm sure (or at least I hope) that the next dev phone will stick to stock. Now whether it'll ever come to Verizon that's another question.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Droid1 does?

but im sure others are in the same boat as me.... im bored with the Droid 1 its time for something new.

yes i'm a phone whore i have owned my droid since the day it came out and this is the longest i have ever used a single phone.

iPirate

Reaction score
Wait and see what the Droid pro brings I guess...

OP
S

Streamheat

Reaction score
Droid Pro

It looks like the Droid Pro is just going to be a world version of the the Droid 2

eliassami5

Reaction score
I dont want to believe it either but lets face it..the D1 will probably be the last stock Android phone to be released. Maybe if enough people contact Moto or HTC and persuade them then maybe they will see that there is a market out there for a vanilla android device. But for me, as long as the hardware is good enough to draw my attention away from the skins..im fine with a non vanilla android phone. But so far nothing has been able to do that.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I dont want to believe it either but lets face it..the D1 will probably be the last stock Android phone to be released. Maybe if enough people contact Moto or HTC and persuade them then maybe they will see that there is a market out there for a vanilla android device. But for me, as long as the hardware is good enough to draw my attention away from the skins..im fine with a non vanilla android phone. But so far nothing has been able to do that.

no the UI isn't whats disappointing. Personally i like some of the UI enhancements that they come with.

The Droid 2 itself is what disappointed me, and if the Droid Pro is anything close to the Droid 2 thats just going to be another disappointment.

eliassami5

Reaction score

no the UI isn't whats disappointing. Personally i like some of the UI enhancements that they come with.

The Droid 2 itself is what disappointed me, and if the Droid Pro is anything close to the Droid 2 thats just going to be another disappointment.

the D2 is just a mini DX, its not that bad. What didnt you like about it.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i went and played with it in the store and its not any improvement over the original droid. The keyboard still sucks and it wasn't any faster then my droid. Yes i know im overclocked and the droid 2 is significantly faster then the stock droid. I think motorola should give up on the keyboard.

don't get me wrong i love(ed) my droid im just bored with it.... extremely bored. I was hoping the droid 2 was going to be enough of a improvement to justify getting it but i guess i was mistaken.